General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurricane Irma Truck Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Hurricane Irma Truck Tips?

Figured just in case I'd start this as it'd be my first hurricane here owning a vehicle. I'm parking my truck as close to the garage as possible and the area it is in doesn't seem like it'll flood up past the fog lights on the truck. But nonetheless, should I disconnect the battery to prevent any shorting?
Old 09-06-2017, 11:50 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Can you fit it in the garage? I'm assuming no? I would look at putting it in a parking garage on the 2nd or 3rd floor. You won't have to worry about something falling on it, and won't have to worry about it flooding. I was planning to keep mine in my garage when Harvey rolled through, but I ended up evacuating so it became a non issue.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:43 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

If you have nowhere else to go, maybe jack it up and put it as high as you safely can on blocks. (may be that inner redneck trying to squeeze its way out)
Of course, that may not work...don't want the blocks to somehow wash away.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 268 Likes on 165 Posts

Best advice is to get in the truck, with your family/pets, and high tail it out of town before the storm hits. If you've never been through a hurricane, why start now? I have sat through several, and they're not fun in any way. Don't risk your life or that of your family, get out of town before it hits.

FYI - I live outside of houston and just went through the nightmare that was Harvey. We didn't take a direct hit like we have many times in the past, but the devastation from flooding was unfathomable. Literally flooding of biblical proportions.
The following 7 users liked this post by bigred90gt:
BCMIF150 (09-06-2017), Dan M. (09-06-2017), Efan08 (09-06-2017), Jkry2121 (09-06-2017), LariatDude (09-06-2017), RLXXI (09-07-2017), tareed94 (09-06-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-06-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 325 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by LariatDude
Figured just in case I'd start this as it'd be my first hurricane here owning a vehicle. I'm parking my truck as close to the garage as possible and the area it is in doesn't seem like it'll flood up past the fog lights on the truck. But nonetheless, should I disconnect the battery to prevent any shorting?
If you are dead set on parking it at your house and are only concerned about flooding, would be a good idea to park it on some car ramps to get an extra ~foot of height on the flood. They run about $40 a pair from walmart. An extra lift you can get on your truck could end up making a huge difference.
The following users liked this post:
LariatDude (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 268 Likes on 165 Posts

I have a friend who just finished a $10k build on a mustang for his son. It was in his garage on fully extended Jack stands. When I was helping him gut his house last week after the storm, the cup holders were full of water. Car is toast, along with his Silverado that was in the driveway, and his house.

Last edited by bigred90gt; 09-06-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigred90gt
Best advice is to get in the truck, with your family/pets, and high tail it out of town before the storm hits. If you've never been through a hurricane, why start now? I have sat through several, and they're not fun in any way. Don't risk your life or that of your family, get out of town before it hits.

FYI - I live outside of houston and just went through the nightmare that was Harvey. We didn't take a direct hit like we have many times in the past, but the devastation from flooding was unfathomable. Literally flooding of biblical proportions.
I think this was the best advice here!
The following users liked this post:
tareed94 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah unfortunately can't fit in the garage due to the lift and there's two more cars in there anyway. I was thinking about going the jack route and lifting it off the ground, I'm not sure if that provides a greater chance for a tip over to happen though. If they call for an evac, then yeah I'm going out of town with it for sure. Should probably leave anyway like you said. Most everyone on the neighborhood parks their vehicles parallel to their garage, hoping this one veers away like Matthew...
Old 09-06-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Possible. Ive not been through a hurricane but flooding in my area is common place.. Not to mention missiles. I would bet theres going to be a lot of things flying about in the air to worry about in addition to the flooding.

For flood prevention maybe use rubber gloves and zip ties to plug up and seal off the intake and exhaust after you get the truck up off the ground. Drive up ramps will likely help get your front end and cab off the ground. Plastic bags around the dashboard to cover it in case the window gets taken out and rain gets in.Drive up on the ramps, jack up the rear end and put it on jack stands or if you can put the whole truck on jack stands as much as you can.

If its not too late, Id get a trailer for one of your cars or a dolly and haul it behind the truck and GTFO.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:09 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by LariatDude
Yeah unfortunately can't fit in the garage due to the lift and there's two more cars in there anyway. I was thinking about going the jack route and lifting it off the ground, I'm not sure if that provides a greater chance for a tip over to happen though. If they call for an evac, then yeah I'm going out of town with it for sure. Should probably leave anyway like you said. Most everyone on the neighborhood parks their vehicles parallel to their garage, hoping this one veers away like Matthew...
If you stay, parallel park against the garage, and pull the front end up on ramps. At the end of the day if it floods, it floods and insurance will kick in (provided you're covered for it).