General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huge New F150 in the City - Freaking Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge New F150 in the City - Freaking Out

I just bought a certified pre-owned F150 Lariat, Super Crew, 4X4, black-on-black, 20" wheels. I LOVE this truck. It's the truck I've always dreamed of. But...I am also freaking out about it- mostly due to size and parking issues. I'm curious to see if anybody else went through something like this.

I have been looking at trucks for awhile. Last week I found this one which met all of my specifications. I mean, it's a beautiful truck. I signed the papers and drove away. When I got home, I parked it in my carport, got out of the truck, and realized the rear-end was hanging a good 3 feet outside of the carport into the alley. This is when I first started freaking out...

I have been driving a pretty small POS Chevy HHR crossover/wagon thing, so the truck is quite a bit bigger- I knew that was going to be the case. But I didn't realize just HOW BIG this thing is. I even have the shorter (5.5 ft) bed. Now, I'm a great driver, and great at parking...but what I'm finding is that a lot of city streets and parking spots are just not made for this truck. I do live in the city, right now San Diego, CA and about to move the the Bay Area. Considering that 95% of my driving is in the city...

Did I just make a HUGE (28k) mistake??

I mean, I look around, and Hummers look small compared to this thing!! I expect that it will take some getting used to...but I'm just not sure that even when I get used to it, if it makes sense to use this as a city driver. I'm generally a pretty practical person, but I feel like this is probably the least practical, and I fear one of the worst decisions I've ever made.

I've been practicing and getting good at backing into spaces, but there are still plenty of spots and even whole lots that I just can't fit into. Never mind trying to take a right-hand turn out of a driveway on to a narrow two-way city street without crossing into the other lane.

Is there anybody else who went through this after buying their first full-sized truck? Anybody who drives their F150 primarily in the city and has made it work?

If you have a similar story, any tips for getting around in small parking lots and city streets, or just want to confirm my suspicion that I made a really big mistake, I would love to hear from you!

Last edited by lindsayv; 02-02-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:21 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

welcome to fullsize trucks

City-driving a F150 is doable, many here do it, but some cities are definitely better suited than others!
Unless you need a truck once in a while (offroad, hauling stuff, towing), a SUV might indeed have been a better option

It's not impossible though, just watch your mirrors and the corners of the truck!
The following users liked this post:
lindsayv (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

Yep - I am in the city of Filthydelphia all the time. Just takes getting used to and absolutely you will have to be a bit more patient in order to find a spot. As long as you do not put on a lift kit, you ought to fit in most garages, yes you have to watch pullout out. Yes, you will stick out a little bit and will need to fold your mirrors, etc.

You will get really good at driving and parking!

Just takes time and practice.
lindsayv (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:44 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Big difference for me. But parking in Des Moines is pretty simple and the rearview camera is a lifesaver. For regular parking, I actually prefer to back into spots because it just easier for me to do and then pull right out when I leave.
130428 (02-03-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

First two vehicles were trucks. First a short-wide '01 Dodge Ram then a 4door 06' Dodge Dakota. The Dakota obviously wasn't a full size but it was definitely longer than the Ram and not much thinner. At least it felt just as roomy inside. Then I went to a civic for a few years and now in I'm a SCREW F150. Thing seems huge compared to the other trucks, but then again I got used to driving a Civic. Tulsa is pretty well equipped for trucks but where I work in downtown, it can sometimes be a pain. Typically not too bad. Note, utilize your back up cam/sensors if you have. It's much easier to back into spots than pull in.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

one of my other trucks is an Excursion so the f-150 did not bother me a bit. I can park parallel park it downtown in just about any spot, of course most everything else parked here is a fullsize pickup/SUV.

EDIT* stumbled on this pic i took and figured why not throw it in as well.

Name:  20140726_222213_zpscrslyuxd.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  579.8 KB

Last edited by AK49FordTruck; 02-03-2015 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:12 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't have to deal with that often but we were in Kansas City a few weekends ago and downtown everything is parking garages, they are not made for fullsize trucks. I am sure I pissed some people off because I took up two spots in most of them so people wouldn't door ding my truck and those 180 degree turns in them, I would just have to wait until there wasn't anyone coming because I took up the whole turn.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:15 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

I got a supercrew with the longer box. I give no ****s to anyone it bothers. I also try to stay away from the city (vancouver)
Old 02-02-2015, 11:50 PM

Received 234 Likes on 194 Posts

One of the many reasons I prefer a regular cab.
Bossgame (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 12:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

For the last 30 years I came from varied years of import trucks to a scab with 6.5 foot bed. I have it pretty easy for my daily drive for parking and very little city interaction. But yes, I was thinking the same as you. Getting used to the tighter turns in the city, and parallel parking is actually easier than I thought. Had it since July 2014 and just had my first run in with low overhead garage parking. Noticed Expeditions in there with their roof racks, figured I should make it too, and did. The antenna did a lot of scraping though. North side curb feeler. You'll hopefully get used to it.

A friend told me backing into spots is good. But if you go in nose first then overshoot the parking spot as if you were going to park into the spot just next to it but on the far side, then back up just a bit, and that should get your angle just right to pull forward and be parallel within the lines.

Quick Reply: Huge New F150 in the City - Freaking Out