Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to pump gas OUT of pressure side (for chainsaws, ATV etc)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default How to pump gas OUT of pressure side (for chainsaws, ATV etc)

Want to use my F150 as a gas station.

Does anybody know a convenient location to tap into the pressure side of the F150 fuel system so I can pump fuel OUT? Prefer to pump out while the engine is not running. I have a 2013 F150.

I'm always needing gas for chainsaws, ATVs , etc & to use my 36gal tank to transport the gas, then pump out when I need it seems a heckuvalot safer than hauling gas cans in the bed. And storing full 5gal cans in the garage, etc. Gas cans in the bed is a dangerous endeavor which I've had no trouble with in 40 years, just looking for improvement !

Just want to know if anyone's done this before and which fuel tube you chose, and why. Really anything you know about succeeding in this proposition.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

nothing wrong with using an APPROVED gas can
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I can think of all kind of problems with this. One would be liability, two would be warranty, 3 would be without engine running you would have no lasting fuel pressure as fuel pump would not be running.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Seems like an awful idea.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:55 PM

Haha raisin I can also think of all kinds of problems too, such as problems transporting gas, storing gas. Today's problem was running out of stored gas while there's at LEAST 30 gals of (fresh, often replenished) gas sitting safely in my F150 tank. This happens too often, and its an hour drive to fill a gas can (or 3). I know about siphoning, I do it sometimes but pumping it out with the F150's fuel pump is how I want to do it.

Don't need any generic reasons NOT to do it, or help evaluating my needs, just looking for help from someone with experience who understands the F150 fuel system and wants to help with my project. Its a good project I will make good use of it.

Last edited by Fyaboy; 12-14-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Bad idea be damned. Gravity. Drill hole in tank. Insert barbed tube with hose and stopcock. Profit.

Also benefits neighborhood gas thieves.

I'm sure you can T into the line between the in tank pump and hpfp. If ecoboost that is.

Not sure how much will drain with engine not running. Seems like an awful idea any way you slice it.

And even if it works, I'm guessing the flow rate will suck.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

You can buy an adapter that goes in between the fuel rail and fuel line. It will give you an 1/8 npt port that you could put some sort of schrader valve on. Then just coming up with a way to hook a line to that valve and finding an easy way to manually turn on the fuel pump. I dont see this be a difficult or crazy, just may take some enginuity.

Here is the adapter
http://www.jegs.com/i/Nitrous+Expres...oHehoC0Yzw_wcB
The following users liked this post:
Fyaboy (12-17-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 08:20 PM

Lets say I was tapped into the fuel rail. With the key on, will it pump out of the fuel rail at a reasonable flow rate? Want flow not pressure. Any ideas how many gallons per minute the tank pump will flow?

Is there a pressure line from the tank pump that I can tap into before the fuel rail? I prefer someplace NOT in the engine bay. I envision hiding a Ball valve & hose under the truck somewhere. Or just a CPC fitting teed in, where I just click a hose on, and switch on the ignition.

Last edited by Fyaboy; 12-14-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Fyaboy
Lets say I was tapped into the fuel rail. With the key on, will it pump out of the fuel rail at a reasonable flow rate? Like how many gallons per minute? Is there a pressure line from the tank pump that I can tap into before the fuel rail? I prefer someplace NOT in the engine bay. I envision hiding a Ball valve & hose under the truck somewhere. Or just a CPC fitting teed in, where I just click a hose on, and switch on the ignition.
it would just pump for a few seconds
Old 12-14-2014, 08:26 PM

Thays what I need to know. How to get a continuous flow. I can imagine that for safety reasons if the fuel line were severed Ford doesn't want to pump all the fuel out.

Quick Reply: How to pump gas OUT of pressure side (for chainsaws, ATV etc)