General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Install Rivet for 95 Power Lock Activator

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to Install Rivet for 95 Power Lock Activator

The power lock activator on a 95 XLT had to be removed. This is performed by drilling out the rivet holding it to the door frame. A new rivet has been purchased from clipsandfasteners.com, but I cannot figure out what tool is needed to reinstall the activator. The temporary shaft of the rivet is much larger (~5/32) than tips that normally come with a rivet installer tool. The threads on that shaft are not typical bolt threads, meaning that a threaded rivet installation tool will not work. It appears that the only thing that will work is the pliers type tool, if it existed for larger shafts. If I go to Ford, they will first give me a blank stare, then tell me to but a new F150. There is a U-tube video on removing the rivet, but they are totally silent on the installation part. Help!
Old 10-15-2015, 01:06 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

1) SUGGESTION: Replace the rivet with a stainless steel bolt+nut combination.

2) HINT/TIP: You'll find posting in the
Pre-1997 F150 > 1987 - 1996 F150
section more helpful/appropriate than General F150 Discussion posts.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by chueseman
The power lock activator on a 95 XLT had to be removed. This is performed by drilling out the rivet holding it to the door frame. A new rivet has been purchased from clipsandfasteners.com, but I cannot figure out what tool is needed to reinstall the activator. The temporary shaft of the rivet is much larger (~5/32) than tips that normally come with a rivet installer tool. The threads on that shaft are not typical bolt threads, meaning that a threaded rivet installation tool will not work. It appears that the only thing that will work is the pliers type tool, if it existed for larger shafts. If I go to Ford, they will first give me a blank stare, then tell me to but a new F150. There is a U-tube video on removing the rivet, but they are totally silent on the installation part. Help!
You need the industrial size rivet tool, we had one at the dealer I worked at and have a pneumatic one where I now work.

http://www.tannerbolt.com/default.as...FQ-EaQod-WQLOg

Unless your going to borrow one it's best to just a use a bolt and nut with a lock washer because the manual one and the pneumatic ones are not cheap.

Quick Reply: How to Install Rivet for 95 Power Lock Activator