Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do chrome wheels hold up these days?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do chrome wheels hold up these days?

10-15 years ago I had a couple sets of chrome wheels. Over a few winters of neglect they got really pitted. Have there been any improvements in chrome wheels like my new '18 XLT Screw's factory 18s? Or do they need routine care year long?

Are black wheels pretty much maintenance free, or will they develop cosmetic issues as well?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:58 AM

Received 535 Likes on 393 Posts

The process is different. It is actually a power coated finish. However, a lot of people have complained of peeling. Some replaced under warranty and others denied. I sold mine before they became an issue. The power coat finish will chip if handled improperly during mount and balancing.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:36 AM

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts

My regular wheels are chrome but I have separate dedicated wheels/tires for winter use. The winter wheels are a combo of black paint & chrome and the chrome has been damaged by the winter road salt, infact I'm thinking of painting over the chrome and just going with straight black wheels for the winters.

I'd never even consider using $$$$ chrome wheels anywhere salt is used on roads in winter.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any tips to keep them looking new? Favorite wax? How often should I apply it?

I'm still thinking I'll go with black 20's but the chrome 18s are growing on me.

Quick Reply: How do chrome wheels hold up these days?