Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me not make mistakes buying a new truck!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help me not make mistakes buying a new truck!

Hi -

Starting to think about an F150 purchase, and would like the experts to check my thinking about what to buy.

* Married couple in our 50s, kids are grown, don't want to light money on fire but affordability OK.

* We keep our cars until they die - reliability is important. (Our new car is a 9 year-old Lexus ES350, our old car is a 21 year-old Dodge Grand Caravan).

* Prefer to start with known quantity => new (20% first mile depreciation over 20 years = ok)

* We will never need to take anyone else in the truck (we've had all rear seats out of our van for years), but do want to be able to keep "stuff" inside with us so we can lock it up etc. => supercab (I don't think you can get it without seats?)

* 90+% of the time it will "just" be a second car, around our small town, driving/parking at the airport (bigger town 1 hour away), etc. Most miles will go on our other car, but better mpg is good (and gas prices will go up again someday). => Ecoboost engine.

* It rarely snows (or rains - New Mexico) here, and I don't have any interest in boat ramps. I do want to be able to drive on rough forest service roads, but not real offroad. So I think I need clearance that will come with any truck, but not 4x4. => 4x2 (also helps with reliability). (Can I lock the rear axle for the rare occasions that might be useful?)

* My hobby is woodworking, and I occasionally need to move stuff around (4x8 & 5x5 plywood, lumber typically 10-12'). Clearly an 8' bed would be best of this, but that would be awfully long (with the supercab) for the most of the time I'm not hauling anything, so I think a 6.5' bed with a bed extender for the hitch is probably the best compromise. (Ironically the minivan seems much better, except it doesn't fit 5x5 sheets of plywood at all). => 6.5' bed

* I don't give a fig about appearance, for accessories really only want A/C, power windows/locks, cruise control, Aux jack or bluetooth in., captains chairs and console, privacy glass & defroster => XL trim level with 101A package and a couple of other options.

* We think we are going to want a travel trailer / 5th wheel in the 25' range. Hard to know how much weight to allow for, so we should err on the heaviest end. I'm not sure where we should end up but the build configurer seems to give us => 3.5l ecoboost engine engine, 3.55 ratio (can it be locked with 4x2?), max trailer tow package (I do like the backup camera).

* The above prices out at about $37.5k including 1.5k in current incentives, not including taxes/title. I suppose in practice we'd end up a few k below that. (Haven't gotten any online (invoice) pricing yet).

We're not in a hurry to buy (our van hasn't quite died yet) - is there a time of year when incentives tend to be higher?

So, does this seem reasonable? Am I making any crazy mistakes? (Never bought a truck before, although my Dad often had one). Are there any options/accessories I'll be kicking myself for not buying (spray-in bedliner? running-boards? box-link?)?

Thanks in advance for any comment/suggestions.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:30 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

I don't know jack about towing 5th wheels. So I'll leave that to the experts.

You can get an electronic locking differential. It's like a 470 stand alone option.

Sounds like you would want the 3.5 with max tow, which gets you the locker I think.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Your main concern with a 5th wheel is cargo capacity and trailer pin weight. Typically, the weight a 5th puts on the truck is higher than what a travel trailer does. This counts against your cargo capacity. I'd: what you can carry in the truck.

Get an idea of what you want for a trailer and then do your rough weight by its specs. That will get you in the ball park on what capacities you will be looking for in your truck.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

A 5th wheel has been done before, but I personally wouldn't. Someone on here has a thread about making it work.

One thing I can add is warranty. Skip what the dealer offers and buy an official one online. Almost always cheaper.

And get pre approved from a bank or preferably a credit union. Buy it with Ford's financing to maximize rebates and then refinance to the CU at a lower rate as soon as you get the first bill from Ford. Win/win.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 855 Likes on 373 Posts

IF you go 1/2 ton, I'd look at the 157" wheelbase trucks.....and yes, a Super Crew. But you don't need the back seats, you say. Keep them folded up. I generally have mine folded up and find myself constantly putting amazing large stuff back there to keep it dry or safe or whatever. I have a friend that delivers "emergency" parts all over the southeast for Motion Industries in his Super Crew (2016 2.7EB with 75,000 miles) and he takes naps in the back floorboard. That back seat area is amazingly useful for things other than people carrying. Consider that. The 157"wb Super Crews have a 6.5ft bed. I haul trade show stuff in mine, part of which is a pile of 6ft tables. In your case I'd look at the 3.5 EcoBoost with the 10 speed auto trans and get a 3.55 rear gear. Decent mileage. Proven engine. Power.

Last edited by David Jones; 03-29-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

I’m not sure I’d want a ½ ton for a 5th wheel.

Other than that, you could probably find some decent deals on leftover 2016 trucks, assuming you can find one with the options you need.

And the 6.5’ bed will be more than enough for your needs. I had a Frontier with a 5’ bed for 11 years, and it’s hauled more than its share of 4x8 sheets of plywood and drywall and a lot of 10-12’ lumber. I just put the tailgate down, flipped out the tailgate extender, and if the balance point was still out too far I’d strap down the wood near the cab.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by bassJAM
I just put the tailgate down, flipped out the tailgate extender, and if the balance point was still out too far I’d strap down the wood near the cab.
By tailgate extender I assume you mean something like this: https://www.realtruck.com/truck-cove...load-extender/ ?

Thanks everyone for all the advice/comments. I find navigating all the options/possibilities kind of bewildering, so all this input is very helpful!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 264 Likes on 186 Posts

I'd figure out the trailer first, then what vehicle to tow it with.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

When you said its a second vehicle, hauling lumber, and then 5th wheel, I instantly thought F350 with the 6.2
Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by untraceable
When you said its a second vehicle, hauling lumber, and then 5th wheel, I instantly thought F350 with the 6.2
I was thinking a small fifth wheel (25'), and when hauling lumber/plywood it's for furniture making not construction, so a few hundred pounds.

Quick Reply: Help me not make mistakes buying a new truck!