General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with back up camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with back up camera

I bought a truck and it has a backup camera, but I can’t find out if it needs a monitor or if it hooks up to the review mirror and I’m trying to find out. Any suggestions about how to trace the wire or find out what it needs to work?
Old 06-29-2019, 04:50 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty-Grey-5.0
I bought a truck and it has a backup camera, but I can’t find out if it needs a monitor or if it hooks up to the review mirror and I’m trying to find out. Any suggestions about how to trace the wire or find out what it needs to work?
If you want help you need to give us more info. In this case the following would be helpful.

Year

Make

Model

Trim

Engine-(optional)

All stock, after market add ons? Pics are always helpful

The following users liked this post:
Ty-Grey-5.0 (06-30-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by idrive
If you want help you need to give us more info. In this case the following would be helpful.

Year 2013

Make Ford

Model F150

Trim XLT

Engine-(optional) V8 5.0

All stock, after market add ons? Pics are always helpful

It’s aftermarket for sure
Old 06-30-2019, 03:02 PM

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Do you have a "stock" Ford radio? If yes, then the previous owner probably kept the monitor that was installed. Possibly because the camera didn't work? Look for signs of screw holes up on top of the dash or on your center console where a monitor might have been.
If you have an aftermarket radio, does it have any buttons for "Menu"? Look there for how to access the camera.

I really have no idea, just brainstorming ideas for you to ponder.
The following users liked this post:
Ty-Grey-5.0 (06-30-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 09:58 AM

It certainly doesn't look like a factory install! I'd remove the camera (carefully) and look for any markings on it, ie. model number, manufacturer etc. Then search the internet on that. Chances are, this is an aftermarket cam a prior owner abandoned, but took the control unit and probably the front dash cam with them.

If you have access to a lift, you could see where the wire goes. You could crawl under, but that is more effort. I'd just plan on acquiring a whole new dash/backup cam setup with a new display! Chances are the camera you've got is dead or nearly dead, very low resolution, and unlikely to adapt to anything you could buy today.

Consider the need for not only a "backup cam", but a system that records your drive front AND back. In this new world where practically no one knows how to drive, but everyone knows how to lie his *** off, having video evidence is the cheapest insurance you'll ever find.

I've been trying to find out if the new cam systems in Ford trucks RECORDS, or if I'll have to install an entire 2nd system. Assuming Ford has made the worst decision possible, I'm working on finding a single 360 cam I can install under a cargo bar at the front of the bed.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:20 AM

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Find the end of the wire, it probably has a standard plug. RCA probably, I doubt they're going to have BNC. If it's RCA you can just plug it into a small tv to see if it works...then you can go from there.

Quick Reply: Help with back up camera