Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hello and some quick questions

Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello and some quick questions

I been lurking around for a while and decided it was time to join and get some true answers to my questions.
I been looking at the new eco boost f 150's for about a year now and finally might bring myself to spend some money which is rather difficult since i'm extremely cheap. Are these trucks worth the money in your opinions?
The other question is: Do you think its time to upgrade? I have 75K miles on my 2007 supercab 5.4l - the rear end seal is leaking (not a huge deal) but the tranny does a weird shift from first to second gear roughly once every twenty times when it reaches 26-28 mph. I'm not sure if this is a common problem on this truck/trans but it does make me worry about the lifespan left.

Is it time to get rid of her or what.....
Old 07-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Evil. Big. Oil.

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh man, these are all decisions that, in the end, are entirely up to you. The Ecoboost is a great, powerful engine, although it does have some kinks yet to be worked out.

Most are great, but some (myself included) have had some issues with missing and acting funny in the rain. After that they seem to need new cats. I'm clueless as to the problem, as are the rest of us. Mine has only done it once, but one could argue a truck with 10k shouldn't have any issues...and they would be right. It can be a pain in the ***. When they are working properly, hands down best truck I have ever owned.

Insofar as your truck, if it's leaking and you want something new, go for it. You have some time to think though, you don't lose too much more in trade in value until you hit 90k in my opinion. Make a decision to keep or trade before then.

The 5.0s, while a smidge slower, are great engines too and seem to be working flawlessly for the most part. Again, they are a bit slower, but there is a lot of aftermarket potential for upgrading them...if that's your thing.

Would I buy another Ecoboost? Sure, as of right now I would. If the thing ever strands me, or acts up again...could be a different story. Hopefully Ford has got their act together and figured out what's goofed up. So far they have treated me, personally, very well.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:36 PM
11 EB SCREW 3.15 LSD 5.5'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just as Daximus, I too am an Ecoboost owner, however I haven't experienced as much as one hiccup, rain or shine, with my truck. Hands down the best truck I have ever owned. Presently 18,000km and 11 months on the clock so time really hasn't had a chance to show me if the Eco will be here for the long haul.

As for your '07, you'll notice a big difference in power and mileage in the present models, Ecoboost, 5.0, or 3.7. As for the leaking rear end that is just what they all do eventually. I tend to think new truck ever 6 or 7 years, so you are about on target for my style. A strange shift would be the only concern, if not for that I don't know if I would consider a new truck yet, however to drop a gear or two in the tranny will make a big change for your trade in or private sale.

Ultimately it is up to your personal demons whether you go for a new truck or not, but I would pay most attention to that tranny, and when it does come time to make the move I would highly consider the Ecoboost unless some major flaw comes to light, but I'm 100% satisfied.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:00 PM

I'm not worried about the rear end to much myself since its an easy replacement but its that tranny issue that concerns me. I could drive this truck ten more years so the demons haven't surfaced yet. Just noticed the rebates that were out and figured my truck has some good equity.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Have you driven a new EB yet? If you do, you WILL answer your own question. They are GREAT engines and make for a really nice truck.....quiet, powerful, relatively economical, with beautiful interiors.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 PM

I drove one the other day and couldn't believe the power compared to my current 5.4l. How does a dealer make his money.
Heres my numbers on the truck i'm dealing on:

My trade is a 2007 5.4l F-150 with 74500 miles. Excellent cond. They are giving me 14500 for it.

$41765.00 Sticker
39452 is invoice (they say)

How does a dealer make its money. Are they buying this truck lower then the invoice? How much lower?
Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by haymaker19
I drove one the other day and couldn't believe the power compared to my current 5.4l. How does a dealer make his money.
Heres my numbers on the truck i'm dealing on:

My trade is a 2007 5.4l F-150 with 74500 miles. Excellent cond. They are giving me 14500 for it.

$41765.00 Sticker
39452 is invoice (they say)

How does a dealer make its money. Are they buying this truck lower then the invoice? How much lower?
Have they shown you the invoice slip? It should show dealer holdback too (usually $1,500 or so). Less than 2 grand profit in that truck does not sound right. My $48,500 truck had closer to 5K profit, and I also got over $4,500 in rebates.....10k off on a truck is usually close to a good deal, but when you have a trade in you never really know what's what.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:36 AM
11 EB SCREW 3.15 LSD 5.5'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

While your talking deals and discounts, my truck came in with a Window Sticker of $44,400, after rebates, discounts, and a little give from the dealer I ended up at $32,500. This was one year ago right now with the Employee Pricing and other stuff they are giving. I had 3 dealerships quote and they were all within very close dollars and I pushed them to give a little more so I think I got a good bottom line. As for the trade in on my old truck, they gave me $4500, I tried selling it private for the same money just to see the deal and got no offers in the 6 weeks it took for my Eco to come in.

As for how the dealer makes their money, not my problem, my problem is how do I make my money!!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing to do is go to TrueCar.com, and build your truck, enter your zip and see the averages.

The info is supposed to show the "average" selling price of the vehicle in your area, and with detailed numbers about what the invoice is, real dealer cost, incentives to customer and dealer, etc.

I went to my dealer with this info in hand, and said this is the starting point, and worked the deal from there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hello and some quick questions