Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Seat Fix (Well My Solution)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heated Seat Fix (Well My Solution)

Hello all,

I know there are a lot of threads on the the infamous Heated Seat Debacle but I thought I would start a new thread so this would get out to the masses. This is my story and solution to what I ran in to. I have a 2003 Screw and had the same problem that a lot of other Ford owners were/are having with the burnt wires in the heating element. Mine went one step further with a bad thermo switch also (which I think happens to more people than we know) So with the bad thermo it lets the heating wires burn at an uncontrollable temp and they burn out. While fixing the burn wire would get you heat again it will also burn out again. Now at this point you have to replace the heating element for a substantial cost to you (Unless you have a warranty) Well after searching the web, junk yards, ebay, and even Ford dealers I can't find a replacement element for my 03. Now I am sure I could have purchased a different year/ model pad or an aftermarket pad but being the cheapo that I am I came up with another solution and not being someone who likes to be beat I finally found a place to get Bimetal thermal cutout switches. They are around $7 with $2 shipping to me. They are a little bit bigger (actually a lot bigger than what is is in our Ford heating pads) but still only a little over a 1/2 inch round. This was easily wired in to the heating pad and fitted in to the foam in the seat. So by purchasing a new thermal switch and repairing the burned wire in the pad we are flying high. Just remember that if you want to take this route like me (because I don't have the money and can't even find a replacement pad for my 03) you will need a Normally Closed Switch that will open when it reaches the operating temp of the switch. If anyone wants any info on where I got the thermo let me know.

Jim

PS: Sorry this was so long I just had to explain it.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:41 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

thanks for that write up

also to add fyi... if you wanted to take the seat apart.. some find it easy .. some cant ... the heated element is under 20.00

Seat back heater, Seat back heater- Fits Left/Right ELEMENT - Captain chair
[Part#9L3Z14D696A] SEATS & TRACKS »Front seat componentsFord › F150 › 2009-2013List Price : $29.18
Your Price : $19.61
Old 11-13-2013, 04:43 PM

the bottom is a bit more .. still not horrible though

Seat cushion htr, Seat cushion htr- Fits Left/Right ELEMENT ASY - HEATIN - Captain chair
[Part#9L3Z14D696B] SEATS & TRACKS »Front seat componentsFord › F150 › 2009-2013List Price : $51.33
Your Price : $34.50
Old 11-13-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2003 seat heater element part number was 1L3Z14D696AB that was the one I had so much trouble finding. I don't know if the part number you mentioned would somehow be able to be adapted to the 03. But anything is possible!!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:21 PM

i pulled that for a 2013 truck ...

you prob had a hard time finding it cause all manufacturers only have to make OEM parts for 10 years from a production date.. so lets say for example that your 2003 was the last year for that set upbefore they changed it .. ford only hAS To make that part til begining of this current year...
Old 11-13-2013, 06:31 PM
2013 Tuxedo Black Limited

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, I was hoping Ford would have used Thermoelectric cooling (Peltier) instead of the under the seat AC duct.

Quick Reply: Heated Seat Fix (Well My Solution)