General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly, My 91 XLT, opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Good, the Bad, the Ugly, My 91 XLT, opinions please

Well I need to make a decision as to whether or not I am keeping this truck for a while. Do I leave it in the condition it is in and drive it into the ground, or do I fix her up in an attempt to make it into a good reliable daily driver.
I just want to know if it is worth it. It wont be a complete restore, more of a rattle can restore. No engine overhaul, or frame restore.
Though I want to have it painted, and will be hitting the entire fame with a grinder, wire brush, a little weld, and POR 15. The engine will be seafoamed and a complete tune up done in the spring.......

The Good:
The body is in decent conditition, has a few dents, some scatches, not missing anything except that ugly chrome tailgate thing

The 3rd reverse light will be in the trash soon

The motor is clean and runs pretty good, need plugs and wires, and cap......has a slight miss

The interior is in good shape as well, the seat is a little worn, but all in all its an easy cleanup(lovin the leopard skin blanket, I always try to protect my interior during winter, no matter how ugly it looks )

The bad
Has an exhaust leak at the flange at the manifold
The interior is missing a few things, that I can probably grab at a junk yard cheap

Random question, what is this switch? Next to the O/D switch that fell inside

Power door locks dont work and have been having problems with the dome light

The Ugly
Has one nasty spot of rust along the box fender......gonna have to be cut out and replaced

The frame is rusty(go figure) Has a few holes in the frame and will need to be hit with welder in the spring
Most of the rust is on the skid plates and heat sheilds
Not the best pics

Lets recap: lol
Motor needs a tune up(plugs, wires, cap) anything else you can think of
Need new Rad overfill tank
Missing a few pieces in the interior
power locks dont work
Exhaust leak needs to be addressed(probably gonna need most parts for the exhaust)
One large rust spot on rear fender
Frame is rusty needs to be welded
4H slips out on me 4L doesnt go in
suspension needs to be tweaked, rattles and floats

What I want as extras for the truck that I will get if I decide to do all the above:
CAI
bed rail covers
PAINT JOB (same color, more flake)
speakers changed
have rims that need painting and 33`` tires that need to be installed
3`` lift

So honestly is it worth all the money it will take to get this truck to where I want it to be......
Opinions please, and not only as Ford owners, but is it a good idea to keep this truck and fix it up, or, continue to save my money and buy something else, and drive this til it dies
Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 PM

Oh and also needs the ebrake fixed....
that dirty rusty colour you see on the exterior of the truck, is spray undercoating that has collected dirt. I have been doing this for years. Even did it to my gf's brand new car. I have never had rust show up where I do this......
Its a pain to get off but doesnt damage the paint.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a nice truck!id take it lol.do you have another truck because if you do this would be a good fixer up.i want a truck like this to fix up.i would keep it if I was you
Old 02-03-2012, 08:19 AM

Nope this is currently my daily driver........
I've had a few minor issues with it since I bought it. But so far so good I guess.
I needed a truck for work, and my car was starting to show its age, so I decided to get rid of it b4 it started costing me more than it was worth. I had the car for 6 years and it was a lemon, pretty much replaced everything but the body was starting to get rough.
Was just saving money and looking online for fun when I came across this, I went to see it, and I loved the way it looked. Also came with the tool box and a set of aluminum rims and 33's for the rims. In the end I paid $1700 for it, and with the change over and the few things I've fixed so far I've probably got $2500 into her.
Honestly I should have waited, and driven my car into the ground. I had $2000 saved which is gone, but I've managed to put together $1400 since December.
I do love the style of this truck and I do enjoy driving it, but its old and it makes me nervous.
If my plan goes as I'd like it to, I'll drive this for the next few months, and in the mean time try to get my other car up to my buddys garage to repair it. Then in the spring I'll start tearing into this and drive the car. The cars crazy good on gas, and fun to drive..........just hope the car doesnt need a new motor.
The car is a 93, needed some work when I bought it 11 years ago...heres how it sits now

Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 PM

hmmmmm would've thought I would have got quicker feed back on this post.....
Wheres all the "SAVE THE FORD" comments.....lol
Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 PM

This is what I want it to look like in the end.....any idea what size lift this is and tire size.....plus I think mine would look better bc of the long box, and its not too far off
Old 02-03-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by *91f150*
This is what I want it to look like in the end.....any idea what size lift this is and tire size.....plus I think mine would look better bc of the long box, and its not too far off
Just guessing from the picture, it looks to be a 3 or 4 inch lift and maybe 35inch tires.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:36 PM

looking for a 3 inch lift for my truck on 33's for now
Old 02-04-2012, 12:57 PM

opinions people, opinions
Old 02-04-2012, 04:40 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Id just fix the necessary issues with it and drive it. Leave the body alone except maybe getting the chrome panel on the tailgate at a junkyard. It doesnt look right with the open holes.

Its really not worth sinking a ton of money into a 21 year old truck. Im guessing that since its that old its got a ton of miles on it already too.

If you get it painted and all that youre gonna easily have $7k+ into a truck thats worth about $2500.

Quick Reply: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly, My 91 XLT, opinions please