General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go from a cover to a camper top

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Go from a cover to a camper top

Would anyone suggest going from a backflip g2 to a full camper shell? I started thinking about it and right now I have a few problems with leaking with my cover and sometimes I need a bit more space to put things in the bed for road trips. Those are the only 2 things I can think of that would be an advantage. Any one have experience going from one to the other and would I be able to sell the cover if needed?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I've had cabs on all my trucks. Keeps things dry and out of sight. Even larger items, tools and materials.
The best cabs i had where raider's, but they been bought out by leer. Lots of happy leer owners around, but i heard to many bad things about them and stayed clear of leer. Had a jason (not bad, but not as good as raider used to be) Have a ARE right now and will never buy another ARE. It's a PITA.
At this point, because of lack of other makes, i might go with Leer next time.
All cabs i had in the past, i took off ( no extra $ on trade-in) and sold privately,usually getting half of what i paid for.

Last edited by Beo-Chin; 01-08-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

A topper is the way to go if you don't carry anything too tall, such as bicycles or motorcycles or appliances. They are a pain to store and lift on or off. They are a real pain if you don't have a board across the back of the bed and part of your groceries have slid all the way forward to the cab of the truck. Even more of a pain if your bed has spray on liner and you have to crawl all the way up to retrieve your groceries.
However, when you do go shopping, or on long trips, they are a terrific place to put gear. They do stay dry and offer much more security than an open bed.
I've had Lear toppers in both aluminum and fiberglass. The aluminum topper weighs quite a bit less, but is more prone to leakage at the screws. The fiberglass is quite heavy, more waterproof, but is more prone to cracks.
If you don't carry items taller than the bed, I'd suggest a rigid cover. It seems to be the best compromise between a folding or roll up cover and a topper.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by wrvond
A topper is the way to go if you don't carry anything too tall, such as bicycles or motorcycles or appliances. They are a pain to store and lift on or off. They are a real pain if you don't have a board across the back of the bed and part of your groceries have slid all the way forward to the cab of the truck. Even more of a pain if your bed has spray on liner and you have to crawl all the way up to retrieve your groceries.
However, when you do go shopping, or on long trips, they are a terrific place to put gear. They do stay dry and offer much more security than an open bed.
I've had Lear toppers in both aluminum and fiberglass. The aluminum topper weighs quite a bit less, but is more prone to leakage at the screws. The fiberglass is quite heavy, more waterproof, but is more prone to cracks.
If you don't carry items taller than the bed, I'd suggest a rigid cover. It seems to be the best compromise between a folding or roll up cover and a topper.
Good points. Just want to mention that i have a 2x8, that i slide in the bed-slots about 16 inches from the tailgate. That keeps things from sliding to the front. I also made up a hook on a broom handle that i use for pulling things to me, without having to go get it.
A friend and i can lift the topper off without a problem.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't know about your cover, but I can show you a Jason. It is a pretty nice cap. It is a bit wavy at the bottom and the paint could be a bit better. I bought it during one of their sales and it was very good bang for my buck.

In the past, I have owned a high Fibreline and two roof high Leers. The first Leer cracked during the first winter and it was traded in on a better Leer. The second one was a nice cap except the salt corroded the exposed window frames.

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/almost-...-waxed-181671/

Good luck with you decision.

Take Care

Green Gem
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like toppers for the heigth. I'm able to get my eight dozen goose decoys in with no problem. I can also get my large dog crate for my labs in the bed and still have a wind free envoroment for them during cold hunting days.. I guess this means I like the ability to load items above the bed rails, be it lawn equipment and tree limbs if I need to haul them off.. At a younger age I've been able to sleep in the bed during long trips back to Eastern Canada, Nova Scotia from Colorado..

I've had Raiders and Brahma's, I now have a ARE on my F-150.. At times there are problems with leaks which can be corrected.....

More room is better...My .02 cents worth....

Enjoy what ever you choose, Life is good................
Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 160 Likes on 148 Posts

I have a century although I did get it for free because the original owner broke the back door it is otherwise a very nice cap. I got it and a bedrug so the dogs and gear can ride back there when I go up north and be protected. I personally think the cap is far more useful.
Attached Thumbnails Go from a cover to a camper top-image-2491600481.jpg   Go from a cover to a camper top-image-1038664561.jpg  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Beo-Chin
I've had cabs on all my trucks. Keeps things dry and out of sight. Even larger items, tools and materials.
The best cabs i had where raider's, but they been bought out by leer. Lots of happy leer owners around, but i heard to many bad things about them and stayed clear of leer. Had a jason (not bad, but not as good as raider used to be) Have a ARE right now and will never buy another ARE. It's a PITA.
At this point, because of lack of other makes, i might go with Leer next time.
All cabs i had in the past, i took off ( no extra $ on trade-in) and sold privately,usually getting half of what i paid for.
What's a "cab"?

Buck
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Buck183
What's a "cab"?

Buck
It's called topper or cab in my neck of the woods. Or camper shell as the OP calls it. Depends on which part of the country you live, i suppose.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Beo-Chin
It's called topper or cab in my neck of the woods. Or camper shell as the OP calls it. Depends on which part of the country you live, i suppose.
Gotcha. Been selling them for almost 20 years and I've never heard them called a cab before. "Cap" is the term I've always heard.

Buck

Quick Reply: Go from a cover to a camper top