General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas milelage help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas milelage help

im new on here, and i have a 86 f150 inline 6 4.9l carbeurated and im only getting 7 mpg. i am told i should be getting at least 14. my friends dad has one and hes getting 19. i have rebuilt the carb and put a new air filter on it, does anyone know y i might be getting crappy gas milelage and what i can do to fix it?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an old 82' F250 that got somewheres around....8 mpg's. It had all sorts of tranny problems. Vacuum hoses were always popping off keeping me in 1st gear. I actually found a transmission fluid hose ruptured and started sucking the ATF fluid into the engine. Once I got that fixed I think things were better, but it was honestly so long ago I can't remember for sure. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Start with the most obvious. Look at your ignition system and work your way through combustion from there. If you have a CEL on, pull the codes and fix them in order. With mileage like that, I would expect at least one code. (***if it actually is supposed to get closer to what you said***) Once you've verified air, spark, and timing, check internals and do a compression and leak down test. After that, check your exhaust system.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure that the exhaust is flowing freely. Also a malfunctioning egr is a gas mileage killer, as is an 02 sensor. Get a book and tune it up and check everything over carefully.

Let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: gas milelage help