General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future Purchase Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:45 AM

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Default Future Purchase Opinions

I will be in the market for a new (to me) truck in the next few months, as my '07 SCAB is getting a bit tight. I don't need a fancy truck. It's for winters (Indiana), hauling wood, tractor, and family. My GT500 gets most of the daily driving April-November.

XL or XLT
4x4 SCREW
5.5 or 6.5 bed
Prefer integrated trailer brake controller (could be added later)
Split bench front seat
My budget is $25k-$30K, although I'd prefer to keep it towards the lower end.

I've been keeping up with the market and already know that, more than likely, my budget puts me in the '12-'14 range. However, there are a few '15 trucks out there, albeit on the higher side of my budget or just over.

On to the questions:

1. Is the '15 redesign well worth the price difference I'm seeing? Generally speaking, it'll cost me anywhere from 3-6K more for the '15 over a 12-14. I'm looking for low miles, so any truck older than that is usually approaching over 100k miles. I'm trying to keep it under 50k as I'd like to keep this truck for 10 years+.

2. What is the deal with these XTRs? I know they're Canadian trucks, but why are there so daggum many of them in the States used? Is it because the USD is doing so well versus the CND and dealers and "steal" them at auction?
2a. Should I stay away from the XTRs?

3. Is it possible to find an FX4 with a split bench front seat? I love the body color matching trim/bumpers and wheels that come with this trim, but it seems like every one I look at has the middle console.

4. Per my lurking research, it seems as though the EB is proving to be a strong performer and standing up to the miles. Any reservations of ever pulling the trigger on a truck with the little 3.5?

I'm sure more questions will come as you answer these. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can offer input on a couple of points:

2. I have a Canadian truck, bought CPO from a dealer in Ohio. I've had no issues with it related to the fact that it was originally sold in Canada.

3. I'm fairly sure all FX-4 trucks have the center console. I know mine does. Of course, I was specifically looking only at trucks that had the console.

Since you live in a city, and are used to the scab, I'll add this: if you consider the screw with the 6.5 bed, be sure to test it out in parking lots, etc. The extra foot makes it a little trickier to park and maneuver in tight spaces. If you want/need the screw and need the 6.5 bed, it's worth it... but if you don't need the bed, it'd probably end up more of a frustration.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MountaineerFX4
I can offer input on a couple of points:

2. I have a Canadian truck, bought CPO from a dealer in Ohio. I've had no issues with it related to the fact that it was originally sold in Canada.

3. I'm fairly sure all FX-4 trucks have the center console. I know mine does. Of course, I was specifically looking only at trucks that had the console.

Since you live in a city, and are used to the scab, I'll add this: if you consider the screw with the 6.5 bed, be sure to test it out in parking lots, etc. The extra foot makes it a little trickier to park and maneuver in tight spaces. If you want/need the screw and need the 6.5 bed, it's worth it... but if you don't need the bed, it'd probably end up more of a frustration.
Thanks for your input. I didn't think there's should be a lot of negatives about the XTR. I'm sure their roads are treated just like ours around here and there's little difference as far was the elements the truck is seeing.

I don't have to worry about tight parking often, but I agree that if space is limited, a SCREW+6.5' truck is going to be no fun. I don't necessarily NEED a 6.5 bed, but it sure is handy when you need it. Chip board, drywall, quads, etc.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

I was recently in the same situation as you, with my budget ranging from $30-35k. I'm in Cinci so our winters are pretty similar as well. My family is growing so my Nissan Frontier’s crew cab back seat was getting a tad small, but I still needed a bed for hauling firewood and towing my trailer.

1) I really like the 15+ trucks. I think the interior is nicer and the seats fit me better. I also like the idea of an aluminum body, since around here the roads get a ton of salt for as little snow as we actually get. BUT, I’ve bought a first model year truck before and I’ll NEVER do it again. It was darned reliable until it hit 90k miles, and then problems started showing up and I dealt with them for the next 90k miles. So for as much as I liked the newer trucks (and the 2.7eb) I wrote the 2015’s off. In my budget I probably could have gotten a leftover 2016, but only in an XLT and dual zone HVAC was high on my list of requirement and that put me needing a Lariat. So that limited me to a previous gen and I’m happy with my purchase. My 2014 is still a very nice truck.

2) XTR being Canadian is news to me. If it is, there are a ton of them around my area as well. I really don’t know anything about that trim level though.

3) I’ve never seen an FX4 with a split bench either. My 2014 brochure indicates that at least that year FX4's were only available with a flow through console.

4) I also plan on keeping this truck for 10 years/200k miles, and pulled the trigger on a 3.5 eb. I researched these trucks for almost 2 years, knowing my previous truck was on its last legs, and I haven’t found any indication that the 3.5eb will be unreliable. I could argue that the 5.0 might have a better chance of lasting longer being naturally aspirated, but the Coyote had its fair share of issues too in 2011/12. I decided to stick to looking at 13/14 trucks and went with whichever engine happened to be in the truck I found at the right price. That being said, I put a 5 Star 93 octane performance tune on my truck and I’m going to step down to a 93 octane tow/perf tune. It makes so much freaking power with the performance tune I can’t imagine it’s good for the long term life of the engine and the 93 octane tow/performance tune is much less radical.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by bassJAM
I was recently in the same situation as you, with my budget ranging from $30-35k. I'm in Cinci so our winters are pretty similar as well. My family is growing so my Nissan Frontier’s crew cab back seat was getting a tad small, but I still needed a bed for hauling firewood and towing my trailer.

1) I really like the 15+ trucks. I think the interior is nicer and the seats fit me better. I also like the idea of an aluminum body, since around here the roads get a ton of salt for as little snow as we actually get. BUT, I’ve bought a first model year truck before and I’ll NEVER do it again. It was darned reliable until it hit 90k miles, and then problems started showing up and I dealt with them for the next 90k miles. So for as much as I liked the newer trucks (and the 2.7eb) I wrote the 2015’s off. In my budget I probably could have gotten a leftover 2016, but only in an XLT and dual zone HVAC was high on my list of requirement and that put me needing a Lariat. So that limited me to a previous gen and I’m happy with my purchase. My 2014 is still a very nice truck.

2) XTR being Canadian is news to me. If it is, there are a ton of them around my area as well. I really don’t know anything about that trim level though.

3) I’ve never seen an FX4 with a split bench either. My 2014 brochure indicates that at least that year FX4's were only available with a flow through console.

4) I also plan on keeping this truck for 10 years/200k miles, and pulled the trigger on a 3.5 eb. I researched these trucks for almost 2 years, knowing my previous truck was on its last legs, and I haven’t found any indication that the 3.5eb will be unreliable. I could argue that the 5.0 might have a better chance of lasting longer being naturally aspirated, but the Coyote had its fair share of issues too in 2011/12. I decided to stick to looking at 13/14 trucks and went with whichever engine happened to be in the truck I found at the right price. That being said, I put a 5 Star 93 octane performance tune on my truck and I’m going to step down to a 93 octane tow/perf tune. It makes so much freaking power with the performance tune I can’t imagine it’s good for the long term life of the engine and the 93 octane tow/performance tune is much less radical.
Thanks for your thoughts. First year vehicles get a bad rap, but I think it's all in the luck of the draw. I had an '01 Escape that was a fantastic car. My cousin still has her.

As far as the EB vs 5.0, I think I'll follow your mindset... Find the truck with options/price I like, and deal with the powerplant that it comes with. Although, throwing a tune on the 3.5 is enticing.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by nickf2005
Although, throwing a tune on the 3.5 is enticing.
I was floored with what that 93 perf tune did. Prior to loading that one I ran 87, 89, and 93 tow tunes for 3 weeks each. All of them were "OK" and certainly added a little power. But that 93 performance tune is a whole other animal! I can hammer it at 20 mph and spin both tires for 40 feet on dry pavement. I had to train myself never give it more than 1/3 throttle at once, or I'd just spin my wheels.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:35 PM

I was floored with what that 93 perf tune did. Prior to loading that one I ran 87, 89, and 93 tow tunes for 3 weeks each. All of them were "OK" and certainly added a little power. But that 93 performance tune is a whole other animal! I can hammer it at 20 mph and spin both tires for 40 feet on dry pavement. I had to train myself never give it more than 1/3 throttle at once, or I'd just spin my wheels.
As I do more reading, the little 2.7 seems pretty impressive as well. Before and after tune. However, may be out of my price range and availability as they're only on 15+ trucks.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

The Lariat trim can be had with a bench seat/6 passenger leather. Highest trim that this is possible, but they are more difficult to find.

XLT is the easiest trim to find 6 seater and still have some other good options standard
Old 03-24-2017, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by nickf2005
As I do more reading, the little 2.7 seems pretty impressive as well. Before and after tune. However, may be out of my price range and availability as they're only on 15+ trucks.
I really like what I've read about the 2.7 and what I saw during test drives. But they were out of my price range. And even if I could have bumped up my budget, I actually liked the 2016+ Sierra's even more so I probably would have gone that way. I know that's blasphemy to admit here.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:09 PM

I really like what I've read about the 2.7 and what I saw during test drives. But they were out of my price range. And even if I could have bumped up my budget, I actually liked the 2016+ Sierra's even more so I probably would have gone that way. I know that's blasphemy to admit here.
More than likely, I'll have a hard time finding that new of a truck in my budget as well. But, it's nice to know if I find one, I shouldn't necessarily shy away from it.