General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Economy - Miles left until empty Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Economy - Miles left until empty Confusion

So yesterday morning i jump in the truck head to work.. start out with 110 miles left until empty... about 1/4 mile down the road its magically jumps to 173 miles and then proceeds to drop like a rock the rest of the day.

This morning i get in with 69 miles to E... mile or two down the road it jumps to 120 miles to E....

I get that this can fluctuate but seriously... should i take the truck to the dealer or is this pretty normal?
Old 05-22-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

Did you reset your avg mpg tracker? I believe it goes off that, and I could see it accurately fluctuating that much if there aren't many miles to average out your fuel usage... if i reset mine on the high way at speed, it goes up to 24mpg and if i do it in town in traffic, it will be less than 10 mpg and fluctuate quickly.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Just watch the fuel gauge. The Miles to E will drive you insane
Old 05-22-2015, 11:34 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
Did you reset your avg mpg tracker? I believe it goes off that, and I could see it accurately fluctuating that much if there aren't many miles to average out your fuel usage... if i reset mine on the high way at speed, it goes up to 24mpg and if i do it in town in traffic, it will be less than 10 mpg and fluctuate quickly.
That's incorrect.

As explained in your manual:

MILES (km) TO E: This displays an estimate of approximately how far
you can drive with the fuel remaining in your tank under normal driving
conditions. Remember to turn the ignition off when refueling to allow this
feature to correctly detect the added fuel. Distance to empty is calculated
using a running average fuel economy, which is based on your recent
driving history of 500 miles (800 km). This value is not the same as the
average fuel economy display. The running average fuel economy is
re-initialized to a factory default value if the battery is disconnected.

You'll see wild fluctuations when you're parked at sharp angles (discussed numerous times on the forum) when the truck thinks it has MORE or LESS gas than it really does. And it doesn't react immediately, so you can be in a situation where you're angled in a driveway, start to drive, and then it reacts. The OP likely is parked at an angle where the tank seems more full than it really is, it reacts as he starts his drive showing a big number left, then realizes that's wrong as it's nice and level and corrects.

Last edited by Ricktwuhk; 05-22-2015 at 11:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
uzikaduzi (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
That's incorrect.

You'll see wild fluctuations when you're parked at sharp angles (discussed numerous times on the forum) when the truck thinks it has MORE or LESS gas than it really does. And it doesn't react immediately, so you can be in a situation where you're angled in a driveway, start to drive, and then it reacts. The OP likely is parked at an angle where the tank seems more full than it really is, it reacts as he starts his drive showing a big number left, then realizes that's wrong as it's nice and level and corrects.
^^ this and/or possible long drives up an incline giving false fuel level readings which results in skewed miles to e calculations.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I used to think I was the pickiest person in the world. Now that I've gotten older and a little wiser I don't feel so bad. Hang in there silver02WS6.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:04 PM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Doesn't matter. Mine says 0 miles to E and I still have 6 gallons in the tank. That was half a tank in my Taurus!

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy - Miles left until empty Confusion