Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Cost and MPG, my way.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Bronco II Nut

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Fuel Cost and MPG, my way.

For the last few years, I have kept up with my fuel usage. I have also enjoyed having Excel do all the work for me. Since I see a lot of threads asking about fuel mileage, I figured I would share my method.

When I had my explorer, I kept track of every fill-up for over 2 years. I need to dig that up and share it as well. I had more info on it calculated for me, I'm keeping this one pretty basic for now.

While initial setup can take a little time (and playing with colors/fonts), once you are done, entering it is very easy. I just write my trip OD mileage for every fill-up on my receipt, although I am thinking about changing it to actual OD mileage. Once I have a few in the glovebox, I enter it in on the computer. Just a click on a desktop shortcut, a minute or 2, and I'm done.

Here is a screen shot of my excel file for every fill-up since I have owned this truck. I only enter what is in yellow. The black boxes show the formula for that column. I just use the grey column for little notes I think are important.

if thats too small to read, click the thumbnail for a full version
Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Impressive... I wish I had a firm Excel grasp. It can come in sooo handy.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice. I do the same thing (engineer with OCD), but I cheated...

http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplat...alculator.html
Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Bronco II Nut

Originally Posted by Lenn
Impressive... I wish I had a firm Excel grasp. It can come in sooo handy.
Thank you! Excel intimidated me at first, but now stuff like this is easy for me. Just jump into the program and start playing with it. the help files show how to enter the formulas. I could even write up a step-by-step with screen shots, but that will take awhile (I'm very detail-oriented).
Old 01-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

I wish I had a fancy way of showing how I consistently get 17mpg... Nice work!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Bronco II Nut

Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
I wish I had a fancy way of showing how I consistently get 17mpg... Nice work!
but you can! different borders, tons of colors for text and backgrounds, different fonts...... the combinations are endless

I just like to keep track of that stuff, I guess I'm just OCD. It helps me budget out how much money to spend on fuel during the different seasons. Also, a large discrepancy in MPG can help alert me of potential engine/transmission problems. plus its just neat to look at

and, every time there is a thread asking about mpg, I can just link here

btw, these number may not even be 100% accurate. my truck has larger than stock tires, but not by much. its not hard to go back in and change the formula though, once i figure out the % the speedometer is off.

yes, i have an edge on the way, so i'll just be accurate from there on out.

Last edited by Tony Raine; 01-11-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to use excel, but I don't know that it is worth the effort. Right now Fuelly gives me everything I need: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/crashtech/f150

They have a mobile version that lets you log fuel ups from your smartphone. The only thing I recently used Excel for as far as fuel and stuff goes is I used it to help me gauge how long it would take me to earn back money I invest in eFans and UDP, etc. I don't plan on modding for MPG, because that is silly, but as a side benefit it helps to know when it will pay for itself.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Bronco II Nut

Originally Posted by CrashTECH
I was going to use excel, but I don't know that it is worth the effort. Right now Fuelly gives me everything I need: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/crashtech/f150

They have a mobile version that lets you log fuel ups from your smartphone. The only thing I recently used Excel for as far as fuel and stuff goes is I used it to help me gauge how long it would take me to earn back money I invest in eFans and UDP, etc. I don't plan on modding for MPG, because that is silly, but as a side benefit it helps to know when it will pay for itself.

thats a pretty cool site, never knew it even existed. yeah, i don't mod for mpg either, but i like to get the best possible for my setup. my chart does flash into my mind every time i think about flooring the gas petal, though....
Old 01-20-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am getting 13.5 mpUS gallon, and that is about the best i have seen so far, hopefully it will get better in the summer, with summer gas.

its a 2006 f-150 screw FX4 short box, with 50 000 miles on it.

although i will say my old 98 scab 4x4offroad with 4.6 was about the same on gas..
Old 01-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Bronco II Nut

Originally Posted by bikerboy
i am getting 13.5 mpUS gallon, and that is about the best i have seen so far, hopefully it will get better in the summer, with summer gas.

its a 2006 f-150 screw FX4 short box, with 50 000 miles on it.

although i will say my old 98 scab 4x4offroad with 4.6 was about the same on gas..

Thats actually pretty darn good for Canada in the winter

Quick Reply: Fuel Cost and MPG, my way.