Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 PM
ROLL TIDE

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Friend in car accident tonight

Just happened tonight. Very tragic

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/30265781/detail.html
Old 01-21-2012, 12:51 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Tragic indeed, really stresses the importance of wearing a seat belt!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 AM
zap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
Tragic indeed, really stresses the importance of wearing a seat belt!
You say that...yet I've had friends thrown out who had their seat belts on. That stresses the need to move up to at least 4 point harnesses. But then there would be all of the b****ing about the more restrictive harnesses just like there was when the move to a 3 point happened even though it's something that needs to be done.

Here is a thought, airbags are mean to slow your body down as it move forwards in the even of a collision. Wait, isn't that what the purpose of the shoulder belt is for? Kinda makes you wonder if strapping your ***** in with a harness would help you fair better in an accident. Yea it would be harder on your internals, but the only thing you have to worry about is your neck (I don't want to hear the Dale Senior crash that made the HANS mandatory) not being able to take the punishment.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terrible thing to happen. It's always tough running a call like this one, especially if you know the person.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:55 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

In the 11 years that I have worked, I have never seen a person thrown that was wearing a seat belt but I have seen several thrown that havent. I have seen some that were doing the "pimp lean" aka seat all the way laid back looking out the back window that has slid forward under the lap part.

Seat belts are better than air bags, there are pre tensioners that fire when a collison is detected and it actually tightens the belt to hold you in place better in the event of a crash. Now if you didin't have one on and the air bags stop you , you are more at risk for internal injury, It has to do with the secondary collision of the organs in your body. In a crash, you will have velocity, air bag blows and you suddenly stop but the organs still continue moving until they are stopped which causes damage. An object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon.

People complain about the 09 and up headrests but they are designed like that to prevent whiplash and neck injuries, the theory is with the tilted forward design that you head will travel less in the event of a crash. Some of the higher end cars even have ones that move up and forward in a crash.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 AM
ROLL TIDE

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Just an update...
Everyone involved go to my school 2 of the boys are in my grade an we're juniors. And 3 girls are sophmores. The driver is one of my buddies and thankfully he's ok. Hes in the hospital with stitches in his arm, one of the girls is in critical condition with a collapsed lung, the other girls were released last night and are home now. But this brings me to my friend who was a passenger in the front seat...alot of love to this guy. Everyone is prayin for you and your family bud. RIP Riley Laymon
Old 01-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Paramedic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of the rollovers I've worked were very survivable with seatbelts.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 AM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketMedic
Many of the rollovers I've worked were very survivable with seatbelts.
Sad Tragedy.. We can stress seat belts all day but it won't change what happened. A parent should never have to bury their child...
Old 01-21-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad man and I feel ur pain! I'm also a firefighter/first responder and have worked many wrecks and have worked a few that NOT wearing seatbelt actully saved there life by ejecting them and not being in the crushed car. It's a very sad part of life but when it's time it's time.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
In the 11 years that I have worked, I have never seen a person thrown that was wearing a seat belt but I have seen several thrown that havent. I have seen some that were doing the "pimp lean" aka seat all the way laid back looking out the back window that has slid forward under the lap part.

Seat belts are better than air bags, there are pre tensioners that fire when a collison is detected and it actually tightens the belt to hold you in place better in the event of a crash. Now if you didin't have one on and the air bags stop you , you are more at risk for internal injury, It has to do with the secondary collision of the organs in your body. In a crash, you will have velocity, air bag blows and you suddenly stop but the organs still continue moving until they are stopped which causes damage. An object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon.

People complain about the 09 and up headrests but they are designed like that to prevent whiplash and neck injuries, the theory is with the tilted forward design that you head will travel less in the event of a crash. Some of the higher end cars even have ones that move up and forward in a crash.
This accident happened in my area 2 weeks ago. People wearing seatbelts were thrown from the vehicle during roll over. Apparently it is possible.
http://www.wbaltv.com/news/30148079/detail.html

Quick Reply: Friend in car accident tonight