Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found some rust, what are my steps to keep it from getting worse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Found some rust, what are my steps to keep it from getting worse?

Fueling up the other day and when I opened my fuel door I noticed some damn sickening paint missing and some rust underneath. What are the things I need to do to clean it up? Figured I.would sand it all down around the inside of the lip right there and primer and then throw some DIY bedliner in there and then color match. Does that sound like enough to stop this much?

Any info would be appreciated
Old 07-15-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

That's not bad unless I'm missing something but for that you want to make sure you get every bit of rust off of it before you paint over. Rust will come right through the paint if you don't. Don't be scared to sand a little bigger area then what you can visually see so you know for certain you have it all gone. After you get it all cleaned up wipe down the area with alcohol or something similar that evaporates completely. When you put the primer on make sure you paint over the primer as soon as it's dry. Some people believe that primer will protect your sheet metal but primer is designed to wick in paint,moisture ect so if you do not paint over it it will wick moisture in an you will have rust come through again. You can by primer that is designed to be ok to leave without painting over but I still recommend painting over it anyways. Hope this helps
Old 07-15-2012, 07:54 PM

Thanks, yea it's not bad yet but I've seen plenty cars/trucks with rust surrounding the filler cap and I don't want that happening to my truck. I was planning on sanding around a little larger area when I go to clean it up. Do you think the bed liner is a ok idea or should.I use something else to.make sure it doesn't happen again
Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by madeSICC
Thanks, yea it's not bad yet but I've seen plenty cars/trucks with rust surrounding the filler cap and I don't want that happening to my truck. I was planning on sanding around a little larger area when I go to clean it up. Do you think the bed liner is a ok idea or should.I use something else to.make sure it doesn't happen again
I don't think the bed liner should be used there. There's a few reasons like it's super hard to get off should it ever rust near there again and if it gets on any other paint, well it's pretty much stuck. Primer paint clear. Put a few coats of clear on. Why do you want the bed liner there? Is the filler door rubbing the paint off or something?
Old 07-15-2012, 09:10 PM

I was just thinking maybe the bedliner would deal the edge of the metal a little better so it wouldn't chip or get rubbed off later down the road and cause the same issue. I just don't really like the idea of the hard plastic right up against the paint. Im tempted to take the stock flares off too and see if there is anything under them. But a little scared of what it would looklike
Old 07-15-2012, 09:15 PM

I was just thinking maybe the bedliner would deal the edge of the metal a little better so it wouldn't chip or get rubbed off later down the road and cause the same issue. I just don't really like the idea of the hard plastic right up against the paint. Im tempted to take the stock flares off too and see if there is anything under them. But a little scared of what it would looklike
You can buy some clear 3m tape.. It's not really tape but I forget what it's called you can put over the paint in that area to prevent the paint from getting rubbed off. I've seen it used on the front of hoods and places like that to prevent rock chips ect. Nows the time to take the flares off. If there's rust it's better to deal with it now then to wait and find holes under them. Then youre into a lot more time and money to fix
Old 07-15-2012, 10:30 PM

Yea that's what im thinking, might as well do it all. I'll go get the stuff tomorrow and get started on it. Thanks for the input. I'll throw some pictures up once I get done
Old 07-16-2012, 05:09 AM

Yea that's what im thinking, might as well do it all. I'll go get the stuff tomorrow and get started on it. Thanks for the input. I'll throw some pictures up once I get done
Sounds good! I'd like to see the before and after! Have fun and good luck!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found rust under the paint on my new Truck. Top right rear fender.

Quick Reply: Found some rust, what are my steps to keep it from getting worse?