General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Won't Cover Intermittent Battery Drain Problem Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ford Won't Cover Intermittent Battery Drain Problem Repair

I have a 2013 F150 FX4 that started having a battery drain issue over the summer. Three times over a 3 month period the battery was completely dead in the morning when I went to start. I thought maybe my kids were leaving lights on or I was doing something wrong. In October, the problem really started to show itself and it was dead approximately 10 times over a 4 week period. It was becoming a major pain in the *** and it caused me being late to work etc. I did buy one of those jumper boxes in the interim... I took it to my local repair shop that I trust at beginning of November (they're not a Ford dealer but they work on them, and since I was at 75,000 miles I figured if it was a defect/recall that I would be able to go back to Ford and get reimbursed). They called me and said they had TSB 520695 which was exactly the symptoms of what I had going on (Intermittent battery drain with the white lights of the cluster staying lit with ignition off and doors closed). They did the tests and replaced the gearshift lever unit and it has been working just fine ever since. No failures since. The dealer billed me $420 for the part and labor.

I sent Ford customer service an email regarding the failure as I feel that this should be covered since it is a known problem and has a TSB. I know that it is technically out of warranty, however good customer service companies will go out of their way to take care of their customers when it is a known problem and/or a supplier issue. They looked into it and emailed me back and said that they weren't gonna be able to do anything and they appreciated the email. I dont believe that it's right in charging me for the repair. Am I out of line expecting for them to cover a known product failure, even though it is out of the mileage warranty range?
Old 01-02-2016, 08:40 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Murfdog
Am I out of line expecting for them to cover a known product failure, even though it is out of the mileage warranty range?
Yes you are out of line. If every auto manufacturer gave a life time warranty none of them would still be in business. Suggest you buy an extended warranty next time.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:13 AM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

If the battery drain first appeared while under warranty, I'd file a claim with Ford for them to cover the repair. Otherwise, Ford is gonna tell you to pound sand.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Speed Addict

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Am I out of line expecting for them to cover a known product failure, even though it is out of the mileage warranty range?
IMHO, no, you're not. Since this was a known defect, CAUSED BY FORD'S IMPROPER electrical work/systems, I would think they'd step up and reimburse you. It sure would make me look elsewhere when it came time to get a new truck.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They called me and said they had TSB 520695 which was exactly the symptoms of what I had going on (Intermittent battery drain with the white lights of the cluster staying lit with ignition off and doors closed).

I have the dreaded battery drain issue. I can not find any info on the TSB you mentioned. Anyone know where to find that info?
Old 01-26-2016, 12:41 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by tsinmw
I have the dreaded battery drain issue. I can not find any info on the TSB you mentioned. Anyone know where to find that info?
All you had to do was Google it:

http://www.fordproblems.com/tsbs/

From this page, click on your Model (Ford F150), then your year, and that will give you a list of all TSB's for your truck.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 01-26-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
All you had to do was Google it:

http://www.fordproblems.com/tsbs/

From this page, click on your Model (Ford F150), then your year, and that will give you a list of all TSB's for your truck.

No kidding...... I Googled it to death, and neither that site or any other possible Google matched sites show a TSB with that number or description.....

Quick Reply: Ford Won't Cover Intermittent Battery Drain Problem Repair