General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Mother trucker has problems starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2013 Fx4 - occasional issues with starting

13' f150. It's having occasional issues starting. It seems like if you dont firmly press the key into the ignition and push in the whole time you are turning, it will just try to turn over and then poop out. It's not the battery or starter. At least I dont think it is.

seems like some kind of connection between the ignition unit and what triggers the truck to turn over is going out. My un mechanical ****ty explanation.

Does this ring any bells to anyone what the issue may be or what part needs replacing?

Last edited by Tiredofeverything; 01-13-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:35 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

It's unusual that an ignition lock fails as little has changed with them since the late 80's, but they do have electrical contacts that can potentially become glazed, dirty, or corroded.

There is also a wire that circles around the end of the ignition lock that activates the RFID chip in the key.

Issues with either of these should results in an intermittent starter, not one that "tries to turn over and then poops out", but you appear to be indicating that it turns over fine if you press in firmly, in which case one of those two should be the source of your issues. Take the shroud off, clean and lube any connections, then test it.

Is the behavior more like it spins the engine fine when not pressing in, but before long starts to slow down due to the battery voltage dropping? This would be a symptom of an ignition lock that has an intermittent or loose 'power on' contact.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:11 PM

To me it seems like there is a bad connection or contact point. I dont know the components which is why I'm asking on here.

sometimes the aux will turn on after just inserting the key into the ignition and sometimes when the key is turned to aux mode, the aux will turn off. I've never NOT been able to get the truck to start.

can anyone tell me what this issue sounds like to them

Last edited by Tiredofeverything; 01-12-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tiredofeverything
To me it seems like there is a bad connection or contact point. I dont know the components which is why I'm asking on here.

sometimes the aux will turn on after just inserting the key into the ignition and sometimes when the key is turned to aux mode, the aux will turn off. I've never NOT been able to get the truck to start eventually

can anyone tell me what this issue sounds like to them
bump
Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Just a shot in the dark, but to me it sounds like you have problems with the switch for the key. Some people have a wad of keys and other stuff on their keyrings, and over time, the weight will screw up an ignition switch like you describe.
I'm not familiar with what all has to be replaced on the newer vehicles, just experience with ones in the 1990's.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

it's not as common in these newer trucks as was in the older ones. john made a good point about the weight on the key affecting the switch over time.
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 01:22 PM

I bought it used so I can't speak to the previous owners key chains but I don't have other than 2 house keys.

The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:22 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

2 keys won't hurt it. were talking more like 20 keys that the weight adds up and can damage the switch
Old 01-13-2019, 03:39 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrinT04
2 keys won't hurt it. were talking more like 20 keys that the weight adds up and can damage the switch
Along with all sorts of other crap. I swear my wife's keyring has to border on at least 3 LBS.
Has the switch done this all the time since you've had it? That's where I would start looking.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by johnday
Along with all sorts of other crap. I swear my wife's keyring has to border on at least 3 LBS.
Has the switch done this all the time since you've had it? That's where I would start looking.

no. It hasnt always done that. I know that the steering column was replaced a couple of months before this started happening. Maybe something wasn't put back correctly?

I guess where I'm at is wondering if this sounded like an easy DIY for someone who is patient and follows instructions well. Or if this is a more advanced job not worthy of trying to save a few dollars by doing it yourself.

know what you mean with the excess keys and keychains. I've seen some with 10 keys, every grocery store card, pet store card, library card, etc. Would be enough wait to pull your britches down if you weren't wearing a belt.

Quick Reply: Ford Mother trucker has problems starting