Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flag Mount for F150

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flag Mount for F150

Hey Y'all!

I have a 96 F150 XLT, and have been flying two American Flags; secured into the stake pockets, by using 1 1/4 inch galvanized pipe and a ratchet strap. Works great. Speeds even up to 80+ without issue. However, I just recently painted my truck, and want to keep everything touching or harming the body to a minimum; and maintain a good looking setup. Also, I don't really want to drill holes, although I could if it was worth it. The current setup works, but it scratches and chips the paint inside of the stake pockets.

I thought about getting or making a hitch mount, but I am not sure if they would be strong enough. Currently, I have been flying 3x5 flags, but thought it would be awesome to fly a single 4x6 (yes!) or a 5x8 (YESSSS!). In which case, the hitch mount would have to be really strong. From my lacking math skills and google, I figure with a 5x8 there could be as much as 800-900 lbs of drag on the pole at 65-75 MPH. I can keep my speed down to 65 or lower, but gotta be able to keep that pace. Just trying to find a setup and or material that would be strong enough.

Any ideas? Am I crazy? Anyone driving with a similar setup?

My biggest concern is the safety aspect. Don't want a pole going into someones car, or the flag hitting the ground either. Only for holidays and races, not a daily thing.

Oh BTW, Im good with DIY too; just dont have a welder.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I'd start with something like these factory brackets:

(phone app link)

I bet there are some local welders who can fab up whatever you design.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:31 AM
Atticus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this could be an option for you,
Amazon Amazon
It does require some drilling it seems but it would be one of the more secure options for a mounted flag.
Or atleast the basis for your own design.

Quick Reply: Flag Mount for F150