General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing your truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fixing your truck

I just want to know how many people actually work on their truck or take it to the shop. Not judging or anything just wondering. Where I'm from everybody mostly does it themselves. That's not neccasarily a good thing either. A lot of stuff gets rigged like that
Old 12-26-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I work on the stuff I am able too.. I used to work on my older trucks that had carbs and not as many electronics
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I also work on the stuff I am able to. If it is something I don't have time to do or can't do myself, I take it to a shop.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm more of a tinker'er. Any major work gets done by a shop, but I like to do what I can. I've done brakes, oil changes, spark plugs. If its basically bolt-on, I'll do it if not its going to the pros.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

I will do anything I can with the tools I have and how comfortable I feel taking things apart and if I wont cause more damage putting it back together. I have installed a 8" BDS lift myself with a buddy without a problem. I'll change the oil, fuel filters, FPDM, installed cab lights on a buddies truck, changed spark plugs, changed the front+rear diff fluids with a buddy, and then routine front end maintence. I will not touch the tranny though. That is one thing I will take to Ford or have done a shop after much research on them. I would rather have something break because of me rather than a shop screw something up and be in the dark.

Last edited by 06F150CFCT; 12-26-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I can tear down and rebuild engines, and I'll do simple stuff in my driveway...but as I get older, spending hours on it is unappealing. I work hard and have other things to do with my time.

The trick is to find a really good shop. Lucky for me, there's a place just 10 minutes away that does outstanding work. They're a tad bit expensive, but when I pick it up, it's a done right deal. Works for me...
Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

i do all my own work as long as i have the proper tools or im able to get them. only thing i dont do is mount tires on rims lol unless im at school and have time to do so.

just tackled my first body work job last month on my rocker panel. welded and filled for the first time. paint is no biggie, im pretty good at that. was able to use the welder at work since i didnt have one at the time. rocker panel came out great, fixing to do my passenger side here in a month or so. maybe sooner.

now that i got a Lincoln Electric MIG for xmas im able to practice my welding and weld the other panel with no problem.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basic maintenance and small repairs - anything over that I am afraid I'll break something during the repair and make the day worse...
Old 12-26-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also do what I can I just happened to be lost now so I have to get some help. But I did the heads for my truck water pump put a new seal in the transmission but I have to admit being young I still get nervous that I'm going to screw something up
Old 12-26-2012, 11:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I do all my work on my trucks. For Christmas my parents paid a reliable shop to do a tune up and coils on my truck, they though it was a good idea. I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it, since I know who is doing the work and it was very thoughtful of them.

Quick Reply: Fixing your truck