General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Heavy Tow 5.0 after Owning Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First Heavy Tow 5.0 after Owning Diesel

Ok, well put two tons of pellets on my 20' Texas Brag heavy duty trailer.

2 x 2 tons = 4000 pounds
20' Texas Brag = 2920 pounds (according to manufacture)

Having come from a 2004 F250 6.0 I was prepared to be disappointed in the towing qualities of my new 2013 5.0 which has 3.73 gears. I programmed the integrated brake controller as recommended in the on screen instructions. I have what i consider a fair amount of towing experience if placed on the 'average joe' scale...... I also used a hitch with the proper amount of drop so as to let the trailer do its job without unnecessarily overloading the rear end of the F150......

The pellets could have been loaded better over the axles, but I wasn't dealing with the greatest fork lift operator of all time. I placed the transmission in tow/haul mode and off we went There is a good sized summit I travel over to get home. The truck shifted flawlessly and kept the engine at 3k RPM while climbing the summit. The braking supplied by the controller was good, but not great like some after market ones ive used in the passed I asked the engine to keep about 50mph up and over the summit and it performed with zero issues, not even a +/- 2mph... I didn't smash the accelerator or anything like that, cuz i just wont do that to my trucks just for the heck of it.

So my opinion having towed the same load numerous times with my diesel. I was very impressed , and that's prolly an understatement. The tow/haul mode in conjunction with the brake controller really did the job and used the engine power as efficiently as I could have asked. Did it have the slam down power of the diesel, no. Could I have passed every clown climbing the summit at 80mph, prolly not. But it did what I asked it to and outperformed by expectations to the point I was relieved when i got home knowing the 3.73 gears along with the 5.0 power plant will not only tow what i need it to, but it did it above my expectations and really got 'A' grade. Would have been an 'A+' if the brake controller had the delivery ratios I dig, but that may just be me. And yes i was worried the F150 5.0 combination was gonna leave me disappointed today, and now im very much content with the performance she delivered, good work Ford..

The following 7 users liked this post by jake221:
Bigbadbull (09-09-2013), CDC5.0 (09-10-2013), jayandsam09 (09-08-2013), mogger (09-07-2013), safetypin (09-08-2013), sullyman (09-09-2013), terraformer (09-08-2013) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-07-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

+ 1 ford
Old 09-07-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

You can adjust the tbc gain +/- on the center screen display to your liking.

The following users liked this post:
fringe_remnant (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Thanks for that wonderful account. I have a 5.0 with the 373 on order, being built in Kansas as we speak. Looking forward to Mr. Torque's arrival.

FR

Originally Posted by jake221
Ok, well put two tons of pellets on my 20' Texas Brag heavy duty trailer.

2 x 2 tons = 4000 pounds
20' Texas Brag = 2920 pounds (according to manufacture)

Having come from a 2004 F250 6.0 I was prepared to be disappointed in the towing qualities of my new 2013 5.0 which has 3.73 gears. I programmed the integrated brake controller as recommended in the on screen instructions. I have what i consider a fair amount of towing experience if placed on the 'average joe' scale...... I also used a hitch with the proper amount of drop so as to let the trailer do its job without unnecessarily overloading the rear end of the F150......

The pellets could have been loaded better over the axles, but I wasn't dealing with the greatest fork lift operator of all time. I placed the transmission in tow/haul mode and off we went There is a good sized summit I travel over to get home. The truck shifted flawlessly and kept the engine at 3k RPM while climbing the summit. The braking supplied by the controller was good, but not great like some after market ones ive used in the passed I asked the engine to keep about 50mph up and over the summit and it performed with zero issues, not even a +/- 2mph... I didn't smash the accelerator or anything like that, cuz i just wont do that to my trucks just for the heck of it.

So my opinion having towed the same load numerous times with my diesel. I was very impressed , and that's prolly an understatement. The tow/haul mode in conjunction with the brake controller really did the job and used the engine power as efficiently as I could have asked. Did it have the slam down power of the diesel, no. Could I have passed every clown climbing the summit at 80mph, prolly not. But it did what I asked it to and outperformed by expectations to the point I was relieved when i got home knowing the 3.73 gears along with the 5.0 power plant will not only tow what i need it to, but it did it above my expectations and really got 'A' grade. Would have been an 'A+' if the brake controller had the delivery ratios I dig, but that may just be me. And yes i was worried the F150 5.0 combination was gonna leave me disappointed today, and now im very much content with the performance she delivered, good work Ford..

Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a nice looking truck and I am glad to hear you liked how it handled.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for the positive report! Nice truck, BTW!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 AM
2013 Tuxedo Black Limited

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

But the real question is how well will an EcoBoost do in the same exact situation? I got the trailer but I don't have 4,000# of pellets.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

That isn't the question at all. We aren't considering Chevy's, hemi's or Ecoboosts here. Just the 5.0 and what it does.

You know these Eco vs 5.0 arguments are all over this forum, and they do not resolve anything except create a lot of bad vibes. Let the 5.0 owners have their space. The OP isn't questioning his decision to buy this motor, only talking about what the effect of that decision means to him.

Originally Posted by Crab *****
But the real question is how well will an EcoBoost do in the same exact situation? I got the trailer but I don't have 4,000# of pellets.
The following 6 users liked this post by fringe_remnant:
ak_cowboy (09-10-2013), jayandsam09 (09-08-2013), joe mcmillan (09-08-2013), raisin (01-01-2014), sullyman (09-09-2013), sweetfordfx4 (09-10-2013) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-08-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

4000# isn't really that much of a challenge! I have done that with my 04 5.4 Expy! But I am glad she is working out for you! Most people never use these pick-ups to their full potential.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:07 AM
2013 Tuxedo Black Limited

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fringe_remnant
That isn't the question at all. We aren't considering Chevy's, hemi's or Ecoboosts here. Just the 5.0 and what it does.

You know these Eco vs 5.0 arguments are all over this forum, and they do not resolve anything except create a lot of bad vibes. Let the 5.0 owners have their space. The OP isn't questioning his decision to buy this motor, only talking about what the effect of that decision means to him.
Sorry. This question was more for my satisfaction than the OP's. I probably could have phrased it better by saying "I wish I were there with my truck to hook up to his trailer to see how well My truck compares doing the same run under the same conditions." That way I could have done a fair comparison of towing power and economy for my personal benefit. That way I would have garnered first hand verifiable data instead some of the second hand or speculative data we see a lot of on the net. Again, please accept my apology as it wasn't my goal to knock any wind out of the OP's sails.

Just to add, I was seriously considering the 5.0 in the Platinum as a contender when I was truck shopping. I never was a six cylinder type of guy and thought the only place for a six was on a lawnmower. As much as I enjoy my Limited there are times I second guess myself and with I had bought a 5.0. That's not to say I'm not happy with my EcoBoost, I am. Just curious as a short test drive at the dealership doesn't give you all the answers.

Last edited by Crab Balls; 09-08-2013 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fringe_remnant (09-08-2013)

Quick Reply: First Heavy Tow 5.0 after Owning Diesel