Sponsored by:

Firefighter Light Bar issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Hokie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firefighter Light Bar issues

Hey everyone,

i recently purchased a 48" low-profile LED lightbar for my truck as i am a volunteer firefighter. i got it for 350 on craigslist when their worth thousands of dollars new!

so heres my issue

i put it on (perminant mount) and its so secured to the roof that it makes little dimples in the reflection near the mounts so i know its SUPER secured. i was taking it for a test drive and i got over 50 mph and i heard this low pitched rumbling and i touched the roof of my truck and felt it vibrating at the same pitch as the sound

my thoughts:

i thought that maybe the lightbar is tilted slightly backwards (like a reverse spoiler) and is catching air under it and wanting to lift off like a wing and will only vibrate when winds are over 50mph

could my bug-deflector on the front of the hood mess up my aerodynamics on the roof?

could i make some sort of a wind deflector or a spoiler to mount on the front and bottom of the lightbar to direct wind over it? like the front slope of a roof rack or a spoiler?

any ideas on aerodynamics?

any ideas at all?

thanks everyone

***This is also posted in the Aftermarket Parts section***
Old 11-30-2009, 11:25 PM

Default jsut a idea

im also a fellow firefighter and my chief has a 2009 tahoe with the low profile bar . all of those are are slightly tilted forward . but with that in mind you will hear a little bit of wind noise . but on newer vehicals you wont hear anything diff. trying adjusting the bar than the deflector
Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 AM
off roading member

also a fellow fire fighter.... our batallion chief has an expedition with a whelen liberty low pro light bar i believe his is tilted forward a bit also.. ill check tomorrow and let you know.. what brand lightbar are you running??
Old 12-01-2009, 02:59 AM
Dirty South's Finest

im a fellow fireman to but ive never heard of this problem but also no one on our dept. has a light bar we all have dash lights and strobes
Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Hokie

My lightbar truely has no brand make or model on it haha its similar to a code 3 2100 lightbar, its 48 inches long, 12 inches front to back, and 2 inches tall
Old 12-01-2009, 10:00 AM
off roading member

Originally Posted by Troupe
im a fellow fireman to but ive never heard of this problem but also no one on our dept. has a light bar we all have dash lights and strobes
most of our guys do the same... are you guys fulltime? (im a volunteer) im planning on runnning mini phantom LED one in the windshield and two in the back glass (solid red up front, red and white in the back) and a whelen siren. right now i just have 2 red strobes wig wags and strobes in my corner lights with a galls basic siren (it has a whopping 2 tones wail and yelp lol) the sheriffs department that i work for has some nice stuff.. whelen 12 head liberty lightbars etc.. but thats a little too expensive for my private use lol
Old 12-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Dirty South's Finest

Originally Posted by 4low4x4
most of our guys do the same... are you guys fulltime? (im a volunteer) im planning on runnning mini phantom LED one in the windshield and two in the back glass (solid red up front, red and white in the back) and a whelen siren. right now i just have 2 red strobes wig wags and strobes in my corner lights with a galls basic siren (it has a whopping 2 tones wail and yelp lol) the sheriffs department that i work for has some nice stuff.. whelen 12 head liberty lightbars etc.. but thats a little too expensive for my private use lol
im a vol. but have you ever looked at galls.com? i got there catolog and thats where all my stuff comes from they arent to high
Old 12-01-2009, 02:14 PM
off roading member

yea, i got my siren from galls. lol
Old 12-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Dirty South's Finest

Originally Posted by 4low4x4
yea, i got my siren from galls. lol
lol i love that book have you seen the vol. firefighter badge in there?
Old 12-01-2009, 02:31 PM
off roading member

yea all the guys at my station are talkin about ordering them.. it sucks cuz im a volunteer in a county that has a paid fire rescue service. so we get forgotten about alot when it comes to equipment, uniforms ect.... heck i had to buy my own radio.... but thankfully we all got new trucks.. our station got an 08 kenworth... LED light bars digital gauges on the pumps 5000 gallons of water ON the truck.. theyre pretty trick... alot better than the 1976 ford it replaced... had to jump it off with the 150 if we had a call i went to everything in my 150 except for 21's then i HAD to take the truck lol

Last edited by 4low4x4; 12-01-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Firefighter Light Bar issues