General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

False Overheat

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default False Overheat

2018 F150 Ecoboost. ... On freeway, heavy traffic. Slowed down, minute later tried to accelerate. Truck began shaking, temp gauge spiked to H. Truck wouldn't go faster than 10 mph. It's at the dealer service now. Anyone else heard of this happening on the 2018's? Service states it was a false overheat.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:48 AM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

You are at least the 3rd forum member with that exact issue where the gauge spikes and goes into limp mode and they don't know why.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:59 AM

They said mine was a bad "ECT Sensor."
Old 02-08-2019, 10:00 AM

Default Update. A second ECT sensor went bad

So. ... In November, my 2018 F-150 died on the freeway, AGAIN. Took it in, and was told a second ECT sensor was bad. Hmmmm. ... OK, so they replaced it. Fast forward to yesterday. What do you know, the truck is dead again. Took it to dealer, and they just told me "it looks like a second ECT sensor is bad." Note, they lost count. Really???? I have reminded them that this is the third time in 8 months that the truck has left me stranded -- all for faulty ECT sensors???

Does anyone know how many sensors are in a 2018 F-150 2.7 eco-boost?

Anyone else having such problems? So far, Ford Motor doesn't want to let me out of the lease, so I have a truck I can't use -- for another year. Anyone know a good Toyota dealer?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:46 PM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

There is only one engine coolant temperature sensor, and a few weeks ago I had the exact issue on my 2016 5.0. I believe the sensor part number is identical between the years and engines. It was very annoying, as it stranded me before I got to work and I spent $200 to have it towed home. I scanned the codes myself and determined the sensor was faulty, picked one up at a dealer and installed it. I noted the same sensor part number is used in many different Ford models, and there appears to have been several revisions. I'm not sure what version was on my truck as built, but I'm assuming I installed the most recent version. That said during my googling I noted this was not an unheard of issue across various models.....not super prevalent, but I found plenty of similar incidents on forums for various cars.

As for the cause? I couldn't tell you. I don't see how a simple electrical sensor with no moving parts could fail at any significant interval, but if this is your third one I imagine you are some kind of statistical outlier. I wonder if you have another electrical fault or short that is killing sensors early? The wire is not very long that leads from the sensor directly into the ECU., perhaps trace its path?
Another option is they never actually fixed the issue the first time, and just cleared the codes and sent you on your way. I noticed when mine failed, once I got it home and cleared the codes, I could drive around for a few miles before the issue would reappear. While that is not exactly what you've experienced, it might have been an intermittent issue to start. Perhaps try a different dealer?

Lastly, lemon law should come into play after so many trips to the dealer for the same issue. Not sure how that effects a lease, but if necessary a I'm sure a lawyer would have some opinions for you, and might be able to get you out of the lease.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the info -- I had crossed my mind that they have simply been clearing the code error and telling me they are replacing the sensor. But, this time, they are replacing the wiring harness.

I have opened an appeal with Ford to cancel the lease. Will see how that goes. If they don't stand by the product, I will park it for the remainder of the lease -- Not going to drive a truck I can't trust. I will dump Ford and switch to another brand. Been leasing from Ford since 1993 or 1994. Currently have three active leases. We shall see if that matters to them. And. ... As I pay for a lease for a truck I can't use for 11 more months, the truck will have a twitter page and will provide daily updates about it's uselessness.

Quick Reply: False Overheat