General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 vs Jeep Wrangler Ride Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F150 vs Jeep Wrangler Ride Comfort

I currently have a 2009 F150 xlt 4x4 and love it. However, I don't really have a use for the bed any more and need something a little smaller. I have been thinking about getting a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. However, I keep reading reviews on the internet that says the Wrangler rides horribly on the highway, is easily moved by cross winds, has brake dive, and is just generally not a good on road vehicle. You also hear a lot of people say that pickup trucks ride like crap and are stiff. However, I find that the ride in the f150 is amazing. It is so easy to drive on the highway and is great offroad also. So what is the deal? Is it true that Wranglers are really that bad?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:22 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

I just recently did a bunch of work on a loaded to the max 2013 Wranger and drove it a few days after performing the mods before the customer picked it up. My opinion is that it would be a bad *** and fun weekend toy but I wouldn't want it as a DD.

Keep the 150!

Wayne
Old 04-17-2014, 11:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z7What
I just recently did a bunch of work on a loaded to the max 2013 Wranger and drove it a few days after performing the mods before the customer picked it up. My opinion is that it would be a bad *** and fun weekend toy but I wouldn't want it as a DD.

Keep the 150!

Wayne
What didn't you like about it?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

2013 Jeep Wranger Unlimited

It's not that I didn't like it, it was just much noisier than my truck, even with the hard top.

Suspension was a little bouncy but that could have been from the 3" lift I installed. Just wasn't something I could feel confy in drive long distances. I don't know it's really hard to say. Just seamed to just be a more rugged built vehicle and it felt like one too even with the NAV and other options. But let's face it, jeeps are a rugged built vehicle and wasn't designed to feel like a BMW.

Maybe I'm just used to my soft riding, quite truck.

I'd love to have it as a weekend you thou that's for sure!!

Wayne
Old 04-18-2014, 12:47 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

Any vehicle that is not car based with that short of a wheelbase will have a stiff ride. I am not a Chrysler product fan either, so I am a little biased. Why not get a Edge or Explorer?
Old 04-18-2014, 05:56 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

You always need a truck................enuff said on my part........
Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 AM
Raptor Minion

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Yeah, you are better off with an Explorer or a Grand Cherokee. I've owned two Jeeps, and I love them dearly. But comparing the highway road manners of a Jeep Wrangler to an F150 is like comparing a Chevy Silverado with busted shocks to an Cadillac...
Old 04-18-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieOneHorse
You always need a truck................enuff said on my part........
I agree
Old 04-18-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a 4-door JK Rubicon (traded it for 10 Lariat and currently have a 13 FX4) . Loved it in theory; I enjoyed it and it looked great. Was a blast with no top and I actually 4-wheeled it - that's what it was designed for. (Don't get me started on soccer-mom "Mall-Rated" 4x4 owners. Like Mommy uses that G-Wagon for what it's even remotely capable. Backing over the flower bed is not off-roaring. But, I digress.)

Anyway Wranglers have some serious drawbacks. For as big as they are there is zero space. The cargo area is small and even with seats down its nothing special. I actually think my wife's little honda fit has more cargo space. I'm a small guy and I thought the interior was tight. It's amazing how much wider it was than my friend's TJ yet the "extra" interior width was barely noticeable. One other annoying thing - the back doors don't open very wide - felt like half of what my 150 does.

I have a 2-mile commute so as a DD it saw little use. However on multiple NJ to VT trips it really wasn't too bad. But, as someone said, even w the hardtop and full doors it's noisy. Besides the audible tire hum it just wasn't quiet in the cabin, switching to the Lariat seemed like moving from a college dorm to a monastery.

That said, if you're looking for a 3rd vehicle toy, it's a great choice. But a more traditional SUV might serve you better. If you want serious off-road ability the Grand Cherokee can be spec-ed up to make it very capable. Soft-readers like the Explorer really do make the most sense.

All things being equal, I loved my Jeep. No it was not practical and yes it had plenty of drawbacks but that's a jeep. As a 20-something with no kids and no spouse it was the ride for me. Now, not so much. still no kids, but a wife and her crap, a yard/house to upkeep and maybe most importantly comfort for my dog, makes my crew cab F150 a much better choice.

There's my nickel's worth of free advice. Not sure it's even worth 2¢.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

We have an 11 Wrangler, the wife that is. I enjoy driving it. I drive it way less since I bought my 13 FX2, zero times actually. Great turning radius, better on gas, less blind spots, fun with the top down and in the mud. The wind is your worst enemy. I'll stick with my truck but a Jeep wouldn't be a terribly idea.

Quick Reply: F150 vs Jeep Wrangler Ride Comfort