Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 grinding/scraping noise in front end. Only in 2wd.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F150 grinding/scraping noise in front end. Only in 2wd.

Hi all,
I have been experiencing a scraping/grinding noise that is coming from my front driverside when in 2wd. It is not a very loud or consistent noise but definitely noticeable, especially when going up hills. As soon as you put it into 4wd it goes away. I have read other posts about this and I know that it is likely related to the iwe and vacuum system. In the fall that actuator was also replaced because it wouldn't go into 4wd.

What I've done:
- I checked the IWE solenoid and that is working as it should.
- I replaced the solenoid check valve and hoses leading to it.
- I had shop check vacuum in the front hubs, they are holding as they should.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe it doesn't have to do with vacuum at all?
Thanks,
matt
2010 F150 XLT 5.4L

Last edited by matt9999; 03-16-2019 at 04:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jdderrico (01-07-2020)
Old 03-16-2019, 01:33 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

that actuator may be shot again
Old 03-16-2019, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by DarrinT04
that actuator may be shot again
even if it is still holding a vacuum?
Old 03-16-2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by matt9999

even if it is still holding a vacuum?
probably not. sorry, i misread your first post
Old 03-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

Take a close look at the IWE. There is another member here whose IWE held vacuum, but the actuator was actually separated from the housing.
Were the IWE's installed properly, pulled a vacuum on them when installing, or making sure the teeth were meshed before tightening the spindle nut?
OEM parts, or, please don't say Dorman. OEM seems to be the best.
Checked ALL hoses for cracks? Pull a vacuum off the solenoid, with front wheels turned in varying directions.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by johnday
Take a close look at the IWE. There is another member here whose IWE held vacuum, but the actuator was actually separated from the housing.
Were the IWE's installed properly, pulled a vacuum on them when installing, or making sure the teeth were meshed before tightening the spindle nut?
OEM parts, or, please don't say Dorman. OEM seems to be the best.
Checked ALL hoses for cracks? Pull a vacuum off the solenoid, with front wheels turned in varying directions.
I had a shop do the IWE in the fall. I assume it was done correctly because there were no issues for the past few months. I will check the hoses again to make sure the vacuum is holding.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:52 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

Originally Posted by matt9999
I had a shop do the IWE in the fall. I assume it was done correctly because there were no issues for the past few months. I will check the hoses again to make sure the vacuum is holding.
Sometimes you could have a bad hose, and everything looks good. A crack may allow air in and cause a vacuum loss, allowing the IWE to start pulling in and grind. Those hoses flex up/down and all around, and as they're moving, the crack or bad spot could open up. Harbor Freight sells a pump for 30 or 40 bucks, Mighty Mite I think it's called. Not just for pulling vacuum, it can be used for bleeding brakes, and likely a few other things.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:49 PM

Sometimes you could have a bad hose, and everything looks good. A crack may allow air in and cause a vacuum loss, allowing the IWE to start pulling in and grind. Those hoses flex up/down and all around, and as they're moving, the crack or bad spot could open up. Harbor Freight sells a pump for 30 or 40 bucks, Mighty Mite I think it's called. Not just for pulling vacuum, it can be used for bleeding brakes, and likely a few other things.
a hose problem is kind of what i'm thinking too
johnday in BFE (03-16-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by DarrinT04
a hose problem is kind of what i'm thinking too
thanks guys, I will check them out more closely. Hopefully that’s all it is.
johnday in BFE (03-17-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:34 PM

Default UPDATE: Still making noise

I ended up taking the truck into a shop, they told me it was the vacuum lines leaking that caused the noise. I had them replace the lines and still making the noise. I was then told that it was coming from a wheel bearing, so I replaced both of those and now the noise is still there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking its back to the vacuum system somewhere, but I don't know where. Again the noise goes away as soon as the truck is put into 4x4.
Anyone felt with this? Thanks

Quick Reply: F150 grinding/scraping noise in front end. Only in 2wd.