General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default F150 A/C question

Hello, fairly new F150 owner here with a question. My truck is a 2012 F150 XLT EcoBoost with 6,800K miles.

Is anyone here, besides me, less-than-impressed with the air conditioning in this truck? I love my F150, but the A/C has been the one thing that's been really disappointing. Mine just doesn't seem to get very cold. And it doesn't seem to make much difference whether I'm in normal or MAX A/C. I know things like this can really vary between makes and models - some vehicles have Arctic air conditioning and some you can barely tell that the A/C is even on (like in my truck).

Any feedback would be welcomed!

Thank you

Last edited by djr7572; 07-08-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same truck and the same thoughts. Living in the humid South when we reach 90 and up, my air is just okay. It cools but it takes a fair amount of time, a 10 minute ride doesn't do it. Of my last 10 vehicles or so this is the weakest a/c of the group.

Steve
Old 07-08-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Same thing with my 2013. The AC is below average compared to every new car I have owned in the past 25 years. I need to keep it on Max AC to get it very cold.

What I noticed is the following:

1. Blend door allows too much outside air in when not on max AC

2. AC short cycles sometimes

3. AC is too sensitive to throttle position meaning instead of cycling off on full throttle it cycles off on the lightest throttle pressure.

I am living with it but it is annoying for a 40K vehicle and sad thing is, the 50k version of my truck has the same issue.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The system in my truck freezes me out, I always keep it on max so I don't have to breath fumes from traffic and I rarely keep the blower on high or the temp at the lowest setting.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

Biggest thing I noticed over all my trucks over the year is the cabin size makes the biggest difference. Regular cabs have a lot less air to cool and keep cool verses a crew cab. My crew cab no is just acceptable. But compare that to a regular cab or even a super cab and you have a lot less glass and a lot less air to cool. All f150 have the same AC and delivery system.
Just my two cent
Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by StevL
I have the same truck and the same thoughts. Living in the humid South when we reach 90 and up, my air is just okay. It cools but it takes a fair amount of time, a 10 minute ride doesn't do it. Of my last 10 vehicles or so this is the weakest a/c of the group.

Steve

Yeah, that's gotta be even more frustrating for you considering where you live. Fortunately, where I live in western Washington, it's not blazing hot all summer and my need for the A/C is fairly minimal. But when I DO want it, it's frustrating that the air isn't very cold.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sitedrifter
Same thing with my 2013. The AC is below average compared to every new car I have owned in the past 25 years. I need to keep it on Max AC to get it very cold.

What I noticed is the following:

1. Blend door allows too much outside air in when not on max AC

2. AC short cycles sometimes

3. AC is too sensitive to throttle position meaning instead of cycling off on full throttle it cycles off on the lightest throttle pressure.

I am living with it but it is annoying for a 40K vehicle and sad thing is, the 50k version of my truck has the same issue.

I agree. $40K truck ... it would be nice to get some COLD air coming out when I turn the AC on. I have a feeling that taking it in to have it looked at isn't going to do me much good. They'll probably just tell me that the system is functioning within specs.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by jeffinthebag
Biggest thing I noticed over all my trucks over the year is the cabin size makes the biggest difference. Regular cabs have a lot less air to cool and keep cool verses a crew cab. My crew cab no is just acceptable. But compare that to a regular cab or even a super cab and you have a lot less glass and a lot less air to cool. All f150 have the same AC and delivery system.
Just my two cent
I can understand this, and I get that concept. But in this case, the air coming out of the vents just isn't very cold. I understand the SuperCrew is a lot of cabin space and it would take a while to cool down. But I'm not even getting cold air - or at least what I would consider to be cold.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My A/C in my truck flat out sucks , I will bring it to the dealer as see if they can do anything
Old 07-08-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

I live in south Texas and I did two things that helped out a little. First I shot a little of that synthic freon in to top it off. Then what probably made the most difference I went to home depot and bought rubber pipe insulation and wrapped the line going inside from the engine compartment. Seems to have helped some and its just enough to keep it nice and cool in the cabin

Last edited by 09bdsguy; 07-08-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: F150 A/C question