Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 5.0 - First Engine Oil Change and the dealer screwed it up - and other oil ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Default F150 5.0 - First Engine Oil Change and the dealer screwed it up - and other oil ??

So,

I take my new 2018 F150 Lariat with 5.0 V8 in to the local dealer (not the one I purchased from - they are out of town) for my very FIRST oil change. Odometer reading is 3,900 miles.

Pretty routine right? One would think so.

Except, they finish the oil change and I drive away from the dealership and run a few errands and then back home - - probably put about 20 miles on the new oil change.

I normally double-check my oil level (yep - here it comes) immediately after getting the oil changed, but didn't this time.... so I checked it this morning and see that it is at the bottom line of the 'hatched' area.... indicating that it is roughly 1 full quart low.

I call up the dealer and bitch them out, and they tell me to bring it in and they will make it right. I told them I am not driving the vehicle back to them with low oil..... it is THEIR mistake, and they can come to my house with oil and fill it up. They agree to do this.

Apparently they put in 8 quarts of 5W20 Synthetic Blend, and they should have put in 9 quarts.

I don't think driving 20 miles like that would hurt my engine, would it??

Also, when they came to my house, we had a hell of a time trying to add oil and read the joke of a dipstick..... that dipstick is almost impossible to read.... one side is covered with oil and the other side seems to read like you'd expect.... but it's hard to tell which is right.

So.... I sent them away and have been slowly adding oil myself and re-checking the level.... but that DIPSTICK is a joke to read.

I am putting the dipstick slowly in it's guide with the 'hatch' side facing the engine..... and slowly pulling it out... which seems to work best.... but again, the hatch side seems to have a distinct cutoff point of oil where the backside is solid oil several inches up the dipstick.

Anybody but me have trouble reading this thing??? Am I doing it right?? I have never had trouble with dipsticks my entire life till now....

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.... and let me know if you think my engine is ok driving it for thoe first 20 miles one quart low from the dealership.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 1,284 Likes on 902 Posts

Driving 1 qt low won't hurt a thing for 200 miles,let alone 20. In fact you're not even supposed to add oil until it is 1 qt low. You're over reacting.
The following 4 users liked this post by marshallr:
Chuck Van (02-19-2020), ifallsron (01-19-2020), INMY2020F150 (03-08-2020), rsylvstr (01-19-2020)
Old 12-05-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by marshallr
Driving 1 qt low won't hurt a thing for 200 miles,let alone 20. In fact you're not even supposed to add oil until it is 1 qt low. You're over reacting.
I thought as much... thank you. How about the dipstick? Hard to read?
Old 12-05-2018, 05:02 PM

When adding oil, should I add it all the way to the 'full' line when cold.... or leave a little bit of 'hatch' showing to account for expansion when the vehicle warms up? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 315 Likes on 195 Posts

itS not hurt ,man these things need 9 quarts I've got 1k on mine and haven't looked to see that yet
Old 12-05-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

When I did my first oil change at 5,000 miles, the mechanic filled it with wrong oil. The Service Manager looked at the paperwork that he turned in and told him that the oil change was to have been with synthetic oil, at which point the mechanic shrugged his shoulders and moved the truck out of the bay. After the Service Manager calmed down from wanting to kill him, he apologized to me for the error, and had the truck brought back into the service bay to have the oil change performed again with the correct oil. After this experience I checked the oil to make sure that it was full, which was hard to see on the dip stick when it was clean. I got the best reading on the dipstick when I inserted it with the hatch side facing the motor.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:28 PM
FlyFisher

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

I just do the routine maintenance myself to save some money and the satisfaction of being self sufficient; and I know it's done correctly. Costs ~30 for the Motorcraft synthetic blend and oil filter at Wally world. Install a Fumoto oil pan valve and it's super easy.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Scoundrel

Received 154 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Friday
When adding oil, should I add it all the way to the 'full' line when cold.... or leave a little bit of 'hatch' showing to account for expansion when the vehicle warms up? Thanks.
Again, I believe you're over thinking this. Everytime you pull the dipstick you're coating the inside of the tube with more oil. Leave the truck sit overnight and check the oil in the morning. Fill it like you would any previous vehicle you owned. :-)
The following users liked this post:
Phyer Phyter (01-19-2020)
Old 12-05-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Friday
Fill it to the full mark, all the oil is not in the oil pan when it's running anyway.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:36 PM

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

To check the oil level, bring the vehicle to operating temps, then shut the engine down and allow it to sit for 15 minutes. The dip stick should have the hashmarks facing up/toward the engine and the oil level should be in the middle of the hashmarks.
The oil capacity after an oil and filter change is 8.3 Litres. This is taken from the Work Shop Manual for a 2018 F-150 5.0
The following 2 users liked this post by GP-SE:
2017bluetruck (01-19-2020), Joe Friday (12-06-2018)

Quick Reply: F150 5.0 - First Engine Oil Change and the dealer screwed it up - and other oil ??