General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 ( 2013 ) Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F150 ( 2013 ) Lug Nuts

Hi All, New to the forum. F150 2013 HD truck - 7 studs per wheel. Just installed new tires at my local (small ) tire shop. They stated that they had problems with removing my original lug nuts using an impact driver. Several of the lug nuts were distorted after removal. The socket that they were using to reinstall nuts would not fit properly on the nuts. They stated that the original Ford nuts were a two piece unit and were prone to distortion ( bulging ). I looked at their socket and it was a bit short in length. If I had been the mechanic I would have used a longer socket to ensure a complete grip around the longer nut. Result was that several of the nuts were twisted/ bulging and needed replaced. They stated that their replacement nuts were one piece solid units, not like the Ford OEM nuts.

Anyone had similar problems with nut removal and whether there is a need to use a longer socket to encompass most of the length of a socket to ease removal. Never had a problem before at every tire switch in four years using Ford dealership !!

Best , Dave
Old 11-01-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 195 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK1000
Hi All, New to the forum. F150 2013 HD truck - 7 studs per wheel. Just installed new tires at my local (small ) tire shop. They stated that they had problems with removing my original lug nuts using an impact driver. Several of the lug nuts were distorted after removal. The socket that they were using to reinstall nuts would not fit properly on the nuts. They stated that the original Ford nuts were a two piece unit and were prone to distortion ( bulging ). I looked at their socket and it was a bit short in length. If I had been the mechanic I would have used a longer socket to ensure a complete grip around the longer nut. Result was that several of the nuts were twisted/ bulging and needed replaced. They stated that their replacement nuts were one piece solid units, not like the Ford OEM nuts.

Anyone had similar problems with nut removal and whether there is a need to use a longer socket to encompass most of the length of a socket to ease removal. Never had a problem before at every tire switch in four years using Ford dealership !!

Best , Dave
I don't have experience with those wheels, or 12gen wheels for that matter, but I think your wheels are a bit niche. The HDPP wheels for that generation were the only 7-lug wheels offered. The 13gens no longer have any 7-lug wheels, as the HDPP has moved to a variant of the 18" Sport wheels, 6-lug.

My guess is that the shop hasn't seen too many like yours. What does your dealer say about it? I can't seem to find the part on Tasca.
The following users liked this post:
DaveK1000 (11-02-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The oem Ford lugs are garbage from day 1, they are indeed two piece, a thin chrome cap over the steel lug, they have a tendency to bulge when they rust on the inside.

Best bet is to replace them with a solid chrome or black lug nut when the oem craptastic lugs are taken off, I personally recommend Gorilla lugs. You can get cheaper ones at any auto parts store that will work.
DaveK1000 (11-02-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2013 and the 1 lug gives me issues and sticks in the deep impact. I may need to look at some upgrade ones.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
The oem Ford lugs are garbage from day 1, they are indeed two piece, a thin chrome cap over the steel lug, they have a tendency to bulge when they rust on the inside.

Best bet is to replace them with a solid chrome or black lug nut when the oem craptastic lugs are taken off, I personally recommend Gorilla lugs. You can get cheaper ones at any auto parts store that will work.
Thanks to all; thanks Rnl... it was reassuring to know that the OEM parts are indeed two piece and that they do degrade over time. The local tire shop replaced 6 nuts at $5 per unit + tax. Perhaps my best course of action is to replace all others with the same solid chromed part. Do not want to be stuck at the side of the road when in need of changing a flat tire.

Best, Dave
Old 11-01-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Perhaps my best course of action is to replace all others with the same solid chromed part. Do not want to be stuck at the side of the road when in need of changing a flat tire.

Best, Dave
Absolutely best to change them all.
DaveK1000 (11-02-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,695 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/replac...g-nuts-386782/
DaveK1000 (11-02-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 09:50 PM

Received 129 Likes on 107 Posts

Same here. Corrosion caused the nut cover to bulge and the standard socket would not fit. Replaced all with NAPA one piece lug nuts.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP6413376
DaveK1000 (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 08:11 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

This must be a profit maker for Ford. It's a known problem. Guess what, my '17 still uses the junk nuts just the 12th gen. Sorta surprised me when I looked at them the other day.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Best , Dave
Regardless of the lug nut design, it's always a good idea to use a socket that fits! I once twisted a lug nut on my Grandpa's Dodge Ram quite a bit with a regular depth socket when trying to remove a flat tire, enough so that a deep socket no longer fit on there. I had to pound the deep socket over that lug nut with a 4lb hammer to get it to fit so I could remove it!

So yeah, always use a socket that fits. And more importantly, I always remove and retighten my lug nuts whenever a tire shop touches them, as they have a tendency to put them on too tight, leading to the issue above!
DaveK1000 (11-02-2017)

Quick Reply: F150 ( 2013 ) Lug Nuts