Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expensive Ford Warranty Doesn't Cover ANYTHING from 3-5 years? Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Expensive Ford Warranty Doesn't Cover ANYTHING from 3-5 years? Seriously?

*** Edit 8/7/15 Some knowledgeable folks here have convinced me that there's no gap in the coverage and, having gotten off work and able to peruse that big legal doc more closely, I agree with them! I'm just editing this for those that don't have patience to read through all the posts to get to that point! LOL. The full text of original post is below ***

About 2 months ago I purchased a new 2015 F150 2.7L SCrew, you know, all new engine, body, etc. I don't usually buy an extended warranty and never needed one with the Tundra that I had previously 'cause it was never in the shop for the 10 years that I owned it. But being an all new vehicle, I bought the rather pricey Ford coverage, 8 years, 100,000 miles, bumper to bumper on this F150. Peace of mind and all that ... but ...

Just took it in because something is wrong with the electronic parking brake. The dealer was accommodating and actually did provide a loaner vehicle (can't possible fix issue 'till tomorrow) but informed us that the warranty doesn't kick in until AFTER 5 years. In other words, if I have trouble with something (such as a dumb-azz electronic parking brake) that's not drive-train related when the truck is between 3-5 years old, I'm screwed, I pay full price for the repair anyway, even though I have the warranty. And they don't owe me a loaner vehicle (as per the extended warranty) EVER until after 5 years.

IDK, I can't get at the 6 or 7 page (small print) warranty document right now to try and sort through the legal-eeze, but it sure seems like I've been "taken."

I've been enjoying the new truck and LOVE the engine but I guess this has given me the jitters as to this big purchase. This is my first Ford and I'm starting to wonder about the "Ford Experience." I've had the truck for about 2 months and it is already disabled in the shop for a minimum of 2 days and I'm told my bumper-to-bumper warranty is useless unless something happens between years 5 to 8. Ouch.

I love the truck, so hopefully the dealership is just misinformed, the truck will prove dependable, and this is just a blip in the ownership experience! Fingers crossed -- I just thought I'd throw this out there to see if other folks have had a similar experience or heard similar claims about the Ford Extended Warranty.

Last edited by ejonny; 08-07-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

You're kidding, right? Are you a 1st time Ford buyer?

You ARE covered under the 3 Year / 36,000 Miles - Bumper / Bumper AND 5 Year / 60,000 Miles - Powertrain warranties.

And there's the 5 Year / Unlimited Miles - Corrosion Coverage and 5 Year / 60,000 Miles - Roadside Assistance.

And these all co$t you nothing.

T'is true ... The ESP kicks-in AFTER 3 years (if not covered by others of the above warranties).
Old 08-06-2015, 01:06 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

that's f'in dumb... your dealer must be misinformed, or they sold you a weird extended warranty...
something craps out at 3.5 yrs, not covered, but covered at 5.5 years, I doubt it...

better do some checking.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Correct, the extended warranty will not cover it, the reason why has already been explained, you're still covered under the basic warranty 3yr/36000 miles.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:47 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

Stopped reading after I saw Tundra. Are you Tundra trolls paid to come here?
Old 08-06-2015, 07:05 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

is this a GENUINE FORD ESP warranty, or some third party one?
Old 08-06-2015, 08:39 PM

gdmJoe and RNLcomp: I realize that the factory basic warranty is 3 yr bumper/bumper and 5 year powertrain and THAT basic coverage is in effect. Great. But the Genuine Ford ESP warranty was presented to me as an item that would cover everything OUTSIDE of that warranty that was not covered, such as a loaner vehicle that's not covered right now under the basic factory warranty, or issues with items other than powertrain between years 3 and 5. I'm now told that's not true, and that's disappointing.

tanked_darren: I made it very clear that I love my new Ford and I could certainly go on and on about it's features that are awesome. But yes, my Tundra never required any repairs in the 10 years that I owned it and I'm hoping for a similar experience with this F150. But sorry to post comments/questions of a straightforward nature that apparently hurt your lil' ol' "Ford Must be Perfect" mentality and anyone who has an issue is a paid Ford basher. Whatever.

Again, hopefully the warranty is not as worthless as the tech stated and I'm hoping this emergency brake thing will just prove a temporary minor nuisance. Love the truck.

Anyway, just dug the warranty out and I'm trying to decipher it.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Depending on which esp you purchased will be the deciding factor, there are several levels of coverage. You should have familiarized your self before you purchased, might as well go into a bank, throw your salary for a month into the air and hope it lands in your account.

Caveat Emptor and common sense go a long way.

The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (08-07-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 09:04 PM

Rnlcomp: Ya made me laugh but yeah, of course I looked through things as best I could in a reasonable amount of time. Looked decent. I guess I should have taken that little ol' TEN page document of fine print and covered it over and over again 'till I understood every phrase. I'm a pretty good speed reader though and thought I had it covered as best as possible. Kinda like buying a house -- you sign so many documents that I'm not sure that most people read and absorb EVERY word? Especially that stuff written with a strong legal component? IDK, maybe.

Anyhow, I'm home again now so was able to grab the doc. Going back over it now, I think maybe the tech just didn't know what he was talking about. I found this phrase pretty quick: "When coverage begins and ends: For New Plan Agreements, Coverage begins at the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Start Date and Zero miles or Hours. ..." That certainly implies that anything not covered by the Basic Warranty (such as a loaner car, in this case) would be covered immediately.

Anyway, sorry to say ANYTHING negative about Ford here -- that seems to upset folks mightily!
Old 08-06-2015, 09:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi i had purchase a Lariat with group 501 very expense and i was offer the extended warranty i refuse maybe time will tell if i did good or not,But from my last experience i had purchase a similar warranty on my last car to make a long story short i never had to claim anything,And the consumer report here in Canada APA does not recommend any extended warranty,Go to consumer reports.org good thing to know .Good luck anyway

Last edited by bevel-man; 08-06-2015 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Expensive Ford Warranty Doesn't Cover ANYTHING from 3-5 years? Seriously?