Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPAS Steering Getting Stiff

Old 08-26-2012, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EPAS Steering Getting Stiff

I just had the rack replaced on my 2012 but I find that after driving for long periods the steering gets stiff at highway speeds, however it gets really sensitive to inputs and I find my shouders and arm hurts after driving for some time. I don't know if this is normal for this steering or not, getting fustrated with the new truck.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I have heard they can be weird like that. Is your truck lifted at all?

The reason they did it is to make a truck more car like. But i dont think it mixes too well.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

EPAS is on the truck to make it more efficient. Nothing to do with making it more "car like".

A positive characteristic is lighter steering effort, which can sometimes be described as "more sensitive" to those used to a hydraulic system. The electric system is better at feeling small driver inputs and assisting than the hydraulic systems were.

The sensitivity is likely just something that you haven't gotten used to yet, but if you feel like its getting stiffer as you drive then something may be wrong. The system does however adjust the amount of assist it provides with speed, so that may be what you are experiencing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EPAS Steering Getting Stiff