General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rattle or vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 06:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine rattle or vibration

Hey guys, I bought my 1st f150 about 3 months ago, it's an fx 4 crew cab with 70,000 miles 2010,I noticed a rattle or vibration shortly after buying it, it occurs in drive at between 2,-2500 revs. I love the truck, it drives great but this rattle is driving me insane. It's seem central at engine or under center console, any ideas of the cause?
Old 02-12-2016, 05:50 PM

Anybody???
Old 02-26-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a heat shield on the exhaust directly under the cab that is welded on one side and there is supposed to be a circular gear clamp on the other. Usually that gear clamp rusts and falls off and you get a rattle. Check it out. Its very easy, can replace it in the parking lot at advanced auto.
The following users liked this post:
scottw82 fx4 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by dakin1
There is a heat shield on the exhaust directly under the cab that is welded on one side and there is supposed to be a circular gear clamp on the other. Usually that gear clamp rusts and falls off and you get a rattle. Check it out. Its very easy, can replace it in the parking lot at advanced auto.
I will check it out tomorrow, thank you,
Old 01-10-2024, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Play with the heat shield running up & down your trucks exhaust pipes, mine did the same & I finally located the flange making the noise and a gentle bend or push usually gets the lightweight metal far enough off of whatever it’s close enough to that when at a idle it shakes enough to make it touch the exhaust pipe l.
a secondary possible source of a rattle that you might check for is the metal heat shield disc located behind each brake caliper it’s a round metal disc located on each wheel. Just take a wrench and tap on the metal in & around the brake rotors it’s behind the rotor l. It’s possible you bent one while replacing your brakes, but most likely it’s the exhaust line heat shield

Quick Reply: Engine rattle or vibration