Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Ignoring cost; what factor would you need to change to electric car?
300 Miles, Charge time less than 10 minutes at a gas station
30.56%
300 Miles, Charge time less than 15 minutes at a gas station
19.44%
300 Miles, Charge time less than 20 minutes at a gas station
8.33%
300 Miles, Charge time less than 25 minutes at a gas station
0%
Range of 200 Miles
2.78%
Range of 300 Miles
2.78%
Range of 400 Miles
16.67%
Range Over 400 Miles
38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Electric Vehicles - Any parameters would consider making the switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 11:47 AM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Electric Vehicles - Any parameters would consider making the switch?

So Ford has yet to make it's BIG announcement as it already has made an announcement with a focus on bringing out both hybrid and electric vehicles. I believe they think they can make electric vehicles more practical and affordable. I certainly hope they can. Also this could vary greatly depending on what vehicle you are looking to purchase. Car, truck, suv? The 9 million variants and combinations inbetween.

Pure electric motors have many advantages over the ICE. For F150 owners I am sure the torque will be very welcomed. The maintenance will ideally be lower for all vehicles. It is a greener option, but not totally green because coal still hasto be burned.

Let's try to proceed with this discussion as if the cost difference it negligible. This factor alone deters many initial buyers.

I personally think charge time is the #1 factor that can only make fully electric cars feasible. I know that there are some cars on the market that can have the engine charge the batteries to keep you going but this adds cost to the vehicle to have two systems. What if it's possible to get the charge time down to a reasonable time? Could the power grid even support this? This would mean gas stations would invest in superchargers to make the network vast.

My only other thought would be having an option where we could have interchangeable batteries. This would mean that all cars would have standardize on a battery type that is accepted by all. However, keeping stock of these, charging them, and having machines deal with the work of replacing them seems like a mountain you cannot get over.

The following users liked this post:
rajacat (02-25-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

No thanks, I will stick with my gas engines. Nothing against electric vehicles, just not my thing. but if i had to change..
my F150 can go well over 500 miles on a tank of fuel. An electric vehicle would have to match that, also charge time would have to be no longer than it takes to fill with gas. I don't want to be on my way to myrtle beach only to have to stop for a several hour period to recharge

Last edited by djfllmn; 02-22-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I think distance is a factor, I would like to see more miles than we have now between charges
Old 02-22-2019, 12:27 PM

Received 605 Likes on 400 Posts

Those with no EV experience fixate on charge time. Silly because the EV starts every morning with a full charge. So the only charge time (not recharge) matters is for days in excess of your battery capacity.

My 5 year old Tesla adds 100 miles to the SOC (State Of Charge) in 15-20 minutes at Tesla Superchargers. The rate slows as the battery fills. A 540 mile day I have driven many times requires 3 stops of about 30 minutes each. If honest one will admit it is best to stop every 2-3 hours no matter what one is driving.

When I bought 5 years ago the terms included free lifetime use of Tesla Superchargers. I can drive all day every day for only the cost of tire rubber. When paying at home the cost is about 3.5¢/mile. At $2.059/gallon the cost equivalent is 58.8 MPG.
The following 2 users liked this post by N4HHE:
clarkritchie (02-27-2019), rajacat (02-25-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 02:14 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by N4HHE
Those with no EV experience fixate on charge time. Silly because the EV starts every morning with a full charge. So the only charge time (not recharge) matters is for days in excess of your battery capacity.

My 5 year old Tesla adds 100 miles to the SOC (State Of Charge) in 15-20 minutes at Tesla Superchargers. The rate slows as the battery fills. A 540 mile day I have driven many times requires 3 stops of about 30 minutes each. If honest one will admit it is best to stop every 2-3 hours no matter what one is driving.

When I bought 5 years ago the terms included free lifetime use of Tesla Superchargers. I can drive all day every day for only the cost of tire rubber. When paying at home the cost is about 3.5¢/mile. At $2.059/gallon the cost equivalent is 58.8 MPG.
This situation you describe is what is going to be the case for probably 90% of the drive types out there. People just don't want to be limited in range. However, I have a question for you. When you stop for your 30 minute drive, do you go a purchase coffee, tea, soft drink? Get a bite to eat? Would you have done that with a gas vehicle? If not, then technically the charge isn't free to your overall pocket.

The reason why I say getting charge times down is because if electricity is going to replace gas then the "refill stations" simply cannot take 30 minutes for the masses. It would cause a massive hold up at "gas stations". I think if you can get it under 15 minutes then that's respectable. Then again this is assuming that you would have the same number of refill point. Maybe there would be more? Maybe electricity prices start getting posted and there isn't a big fluctuation in prices? The model changes so much but it's fun to think about.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jharmon203
This situation you describe is what is going to be the case for probably 90% of the drive types out there. People just don't want to be limited in range.
How often does one drive more than 200 miles in one day? 10% of the time is rather high. Many go weeks with a 26 gallon tank in F150 but with an electric there is little excuse not to charge every night.

However, I have a question for you. When you stop for your 30 minute drive, do you go a purchase coffee, tea, soft drink? Get a bite to eat? Would you have done that with a gas vehicle? If not, then technically the charge isn't free to your overall pocket.
On the 540 mile day a lunch stop is necessary. Other bathroom stops necessary. Otherwise I usually walk for most of the stop. Charge status easy to monitor via app on phone.

On a round trip to Birmingham the Supercharger is in a pay parking lot (rare). So it is either $2 for parking or $3.50 for a cup of coffee and validated parking.

The reason why I say getting charge times down is because if electricity is going to replace gas then the "refill stations" simply cannot take 30 minutes for the masses. It would cause a massive hold up at "gas stations". I think if you can get it under 15 minutes then that's respectable. Then again this is assuming that you would have the same number of refill point. Maybe there would be more? Maybe electricity prices start getting posted and there isn't a big fluctuation in prices? The model changes so much but it's fun to think about.
The problem is that you insist on imposing the gas station model on EVs. Is a common fallacy, “We have gas stations. Therefore EVs must have gas stations,” With sufficient range there is no need. Toy EVs with less than a day of range are at the mercy of public charge stations and rightly deserve derision.

Automakers do not build gas stations and are lazily expecting government to fund crony capitalists to build them. All but Tesla who currently has 619 sites operating in the USA most with at least 8 charging stalls. 23 known under construction, 53 known permits issued but ground not broke. No one else comes close.

There is a big problem with non-Tesla charging stations in that most charge more for electricity than gasoline would have cost. Some are free but only provide 7 kW rate which is only 19 miles of range per hour in my Model S. Could live with that rate as an overnight charge but is not worth the effort at the grocery store.

Think a bit about how much power you are asking for arbitrarily high charge rate? Tesla Superchargers currently max at 120 kW (approximately 400V @ 300A). That is 3X the power delivered to a home with 200A service. Is amazing to me that this quantity can be handled safely by the average idiot driver.
The following users liked this post:
rajacat (02-25-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by N4HHE

I have a Fusion Energi (which we bought because it was thousands cheaper than the Fusion Hybrid and is basically a Hybrid with a small electric capacity).

The problem with the numbers you show (3.5 cents a mile) is that that may be the range you get with your Tesla, but you have no idea if that is the range that someone would get with a much heavier F-150.

Having had this vehicle for 5 months, the slow charging that it has (no where near Tesla speeds) makes it totally unsuitable for any long term trip ON BATTERY POWER even if the battery was larger. Of course one would expect Ford to know that they can't have an F-150 that doesn't charge as fast as a Tesla.

Another issue is planning a trip where charging exists. Even in a "green" town (Ann Arbor), unless I want to pay to park in a parking garage I'm not going to find a charger except for one that happens to be at the electric company's office - which I've hit 3 times after 5PM and had success 2 of the 3 times.

In cold weather, our 21 mile range is 14 or less. Turn on the heater and you're done for.

Again, we didn't buy it for the plug-in capacity, we bought it because it was thousands cheaper than the hybrid and cheaper than the gas model we would have purchased. We previously had a 2010 hybrid and it's fine for my wife's commute.

I wouldn't hesitate to take ours on a trip, because the hybrid component gives us around 37mpg on the highway and around 42 locally. Love it. But the trunk is very, very tiny due to the plug in batteries. I can't wait to see where they put the F-150's batteries, and what it does to either payload or storage capacity.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
The problem with the numbers you show (3.5 cents a mile) is that that may be the range you get with your Tesla, but you have no idea if that is the range that someone would get with a much heavier F-150.
My Model S is just shy of 5,000 pounds. Made no statement as to what Ford will do.

Having had this vehicle for 5 months, the slow charging that it has (no where near Tesla speeds) makes it totally unsuitable for any long term trip ON BATTERY POWER even if the battery was larger. Of course one would expect Ford to know that they can't have an F-150 that doesn't charge as fast as a Tesla.
Yup. No one has come close to the effort Tesla has made in building a charging network. The effort has been to build one every 125 miles along major arteries because the need is not for daily driving but for getting from one city to another. One can now drive most anywhere to anywhere in the USA.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:07 PM

Received 1,278 Likes on 898 Posts

This generator will run 9+ hours on a gallon of gas. Why couldn't something like this be built into the vehicle somewhere and come on just long enough to recharge batteries as the truck is driven. If you could get 300 miles to a charge, and if it took 30 minutes to recharge while on the move you could drive 5400 miles on 1 gallon of gas.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...SABEgIjIvD_BwE
Old 02-22-2019, 07:27 PM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

No electric vehicle for me at least in the foreseeable future.
All this electric vehicle talk just when the USA is now the number one producer of natural energy products in the world thanks to pipelines finally approved and drilling regulations slackened from the previous administration.

If you all want more torque out of your engines, lobby for superchargers.

Quick Reply: Electric Vehicles - Any parameters would consider making the switch?