General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM Chip program vs Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default ECM Chip program vs Tuner

Would love to tune truck, but don't want the hassle of the dealership looking for ways to void my warranty. I have been looking at Unichips that plug into ECM and leave no trace on computer. Anyone run one of these and really like it? I know they are probably not near as complex as the tuners, but was wondering if they are worth trying.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'mI'm pretty sure the ECM always records the settings or changes. That way the factory can go in and find out if anything has been done.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why should you consider buying the UNIchip Performance Module? It is a unique new product that unlike the other flash tuners doesn't reprogram directly into the OBD2 port. This is how many dealers detect computer tuned modifications, thus potentially voiding warranties.

You will never have to worry about having your vehicle's warranty voided if you use this product (*WITH PRODUCT REMOVAL*).

The research I have done suggests a tuner (plugs into the OB II port) rewrites the computer program in the truck while the (Unichip) plugs into the ECM port and is used in addition to the on board factory program. Seems like the tuners do more, but are more easily detected, but deliver a greater breadth of programming options. The chip on the other hand delivers more modest gains, but are harder to detect.

Anyone tried both at some point?

Quick Reply: ECM Chip program vs Tuner