General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a 2.7 EB, 5.0V8, and 3.5 EB last night. Here are my impressions:

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Drove a 2.7 EB, 5.0V8, and 3.5 EB last night. Here are my impressions:

So - trying to whittle down the engine choices for a new Ford F150, to something that I am comfortable with.

This post is STRICTLY MY IMPRESSIONS of the engines listed. I full expect that every person will have different impressions and this is in no means meant to declare one engine is better than another. I think they are all valid choices depending upon your particular needs and circumstances. So... PLEASE don't let my impressions cause you any undue stress. I promise - I am not challenging your manhood. Ford makes many engine options for a reason...

My test lasted about 1/2 hour with each vehicle/engine. Did city and highway scenarios.... passing maneuvers.....peddle to the metal tests and moderate accelerations.

2.7 Ecoboost
  • Very responsive
  • Torque is apparent
  • Had a very disconcerting 'surge and lunge' jerky sort of throttle response. A very unsettled, irrational, twitchy' throttle experience.
  • Felt very uncivilized.... not in a racy sort of way.... but more in an undecided/bi-polar sort of way. Seemed to have a hard time deciding if it wanted to coast or surge.
  • 10 speed mated transmission displayed a very questionable, loud 'CLUNK' when it was shifting between low gears. Imagine dropping a metal 10 lb barbell weight onto a cement floor from waist level. Yeah..... sounded pretty scary.
  • Not impressed at all with this engine/transmission combo - - immediately scratched it off my list. Couldn't imagine living with it day-to-day.
  • Pronounced Turbo-lag.
5.0 V8
  • Gotta say - in comparison to just driving the 2.7, this is a huge improvement in my mind. Granted, I am late 50's.... so I grew up with V8's, and reluctantly embraced the transition to V6's.
  • Great Sound
  • Love the smooth delivery of power. No 'surge and lunge/ surge and lunge' characteristics like I experienced in the 2.7. Straight - smooth acceleration.
  • Felt 'heavy' and apathetic in comparison to the 'spunky', light, and torque rich feel of the 2.7.
  • Acceleration was 'ok'..... it got up to speed quickly, but didn't give you that kick in the pants feel of the 2.7 ecoboost.
  • Civilized and smooth, the way I like my rides.
  • No test drive issues with the 5.0V8 and 10 Speed Transmission like I experienced in the 2.7.
3.5 Ecoboost
  • Wow! Torque and civilized ride combined.
  • Larger displacement EB seemed to exhibit a more restrained demeanor in moderate driving style - - didn't have the 'surge and lunge' chaotic feel of the 2.7.
  • Turbo-lag was imperceptible to me.... it seemed more instantaneously responsive when mashing peddle to the floor than the 2.7.
  • Power was incredible..... felt light and nimble and ready to 'sprint' .... unlike the heavier, plodding feel of the V8 (although, again, I did like the V8).
  • 3.5 EB and 10 speed transmission seemed to work well together. No loud clunking in lower gear shifts.
Final thoughts:
The 2.7 is completely off my radar. It just isn't for me. Felt like it had a schizophrenic, busy ride with an unrefined acceleration. I really liked the 5.0 V8..... this would be my go-to engine which hits me squarely in my comfort zone. Smooth acceleration that didn't leave me feeling like I was mugged after driving it. The 3.5 Ecoboost may end up being my choice. It seemed to have a nice blend of both worlds - - spirited, torquey acceleration, yet provided a restrained, easy-to-live with ride quality with a good matchup to the 10 speed tranny.

I plan on getting both the 5.0 V8 and the 3.5 Ecoboost units for an 'overnighter.' I will be able to give them a more thorough drive and determine which of the two gives me the best overall performance and comfort level.

Engines aside: The ride quality was commendably smooth. Vault-like quiet experience in the Super Crew Cab configuration. Amazingly quiet, in fact. Didn't experience any squeeks, rattles, wind leakage, road noise, etc. Very well insulated from annoying sounds. I did find the myriad of generic steering wheel buttons hard to differentiate from one another.... that is a cluster-hump that needs some design rework. But, all in all a very impressive truck.

Last edited by Joe Friday; 05-31-2018 at 12:05 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Joe Friday:
SCORGE (05-31-2018), sierrafast (06-02-2018), stvbrtls (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

I don't have quite the comparison but my comments from my test drives (granted these were on 2017's).

2.7 - never drove but I think if you wanted to consider one drive a different one, the trans shouldn't behave like that as it is the same as the 3.5 and 5.0.

5.0 (6-speed)- It 'feels like a V8', they just have a certain driving feel/characteristic. Its not bad or good or whatever it just is like that. I found that in the mid to upper driving speeds is where is shines and has the smoothest power delivery (like 30-70mph). Under 30 / around town is just didn't feel as smooth (was fine just not as smooth as 3.5 EB), I am assuming had to do with having less low end torque than the 3.5 EB (or not having the 10-speed).

3.5 EB (10-speed) - Was very smooth driving around town and on the highway. I didn't feel like it was any more light or nimble, maybe a bit in the 0-30mph range. Would have had no issues with buying one.

In the end they had a 5.0 in the specs / price range I was looking and no 3.5 so I got the 5.0 lol
I also had a 5.0 in a 2013 and the 2017 feels way more nimble and quick (similar specs, 400lbs lighter).

I would get either the 5.0 or 3.5 EB without looking back.

**Never considered the 2.7 as couldn't get a 4x4 SCREW 6.5' box**
The following users liked this post:
Joe Friday (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan_2020
I don't have quite the comparison but my comments from my test drives (granted these were on 2017's).

2.7 - never drove but I think if you wanted to consider one drive a different one, the trans shouldn't behave like that as it is the same as the 3.5 and 5.0.

5.0 (6-speed)- It 'feels like a V8', they just have a certain driving feel/characteristic. Its not bad or good or whatever it just is like that. I found that in the mid to upper driving speeds is where is shines and has the smoothest power delivery (like 30-70mph). Under 30 / around town is just didn't feel as smooth (was fine just not as smooth as 3.5 EB), I am assuming had to do with having less low end torque than the 3.5 EB (or not having the 10-speed).

3.5 EB (10-speed) - Was very smooth driving around town and on the highway. I didn't feel like it was any more light or nimble, maybe a bit in the 0-30mph range. Would have had no issues with buying one.

In the end they had a 5.0 in the specs / price range I was looking and no 3.5 so I got the 5.0 lol
I also had a 5.0 in a 2013 and the 2017 feels way more nimble and quick (similar specs, 400lbs lighter).

I would get either the 5.0 or 3.5 EB without looking back.

**Never considered the 2.7 as couldn't get a 4x4 SCREW 6.5' box**
Ryan - what kind of 'real world' mpg's are you seeing with your 5.0 ? Do you have any hand-calculated strictly highway numbers? Be curious about that and your overall mpg.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Friday
Ryan - what kind of 'real world' mpg's are you seeing with your 5.0 ? Do you have any hand-calculated strictly highway numbers? Be curious about that and your overall mpg.
I don't typically hand calculate, but when I have in the past it was typically within 1-1.5 mpg from the truck.

My 'daily drive' in the summer with stock tires I average about 16.5 per the truck. This is a 20 km each way trip, with 10% city, 10% hills (8-10% grades) and 80% 'rural highway' (at 70 mph).
In the winter I lose 2 mpg (bigger/heavier tires, winter gas, lots of remote start).

I did a pure highway trip a few weeks ago (running about 75 mph) and got 19/19.5 mpg per the truck.

.....side note 1, speed KILLS the mpg hard, would do better if I drove slower....not going to happen.
......side note 2, my wife gets at least 1 mpg better than I do, in all driving situations lol
Joe Friday (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

If you really want to compare the 5.0 and 3.5, drop a large trailer on the truck. That 3.5 with the low torque will make you say, How can such a small engine tow so big?! I too am in the either engine category. It is more of what is in the truck than what is propelling it as both engines are superb compared to any of the competition.

The 2.7 problem you described could just have been a screwed up learning pattern and a hard reset, retraining could easily fix it, especially the transmission since you drove all three with the same 10 speed, and the only difference was in how it was trained. I would not get a 2.7 for the only reason is that it is too small for what I tow, but if it were just a daily driver, I would get it just for the fuel economy.
Joe Friday (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 01:03 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Thank you for doing what others should do lol
The following 5 users liked this post by SCORGE:
Joe Friday (05-31-2018), johnday in BFE (05-31-2018), RLXXI (05-31-2018), Ryan_2020 (05-31-2018), Summers22 (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 01:36 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,598 Likes on 6,203 Posts

Originally Posted by SCORGE
Thank you for doing what others should do lol
This. You drove the 3 main engines and narrowed it down to 2, now an overnight with those will give you what suits you best. Thank you for your post, you are to be commended.
The following 2 users liked this post by Summers22:
Joe Friday (05-31-2018), johnday in BFE (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 02:06 PM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
If you really want to compare the 5.0 and 3.5, drop a large trailer on the truck. That 3.5 with the low torque will make you say, How can such a small engine tow so big?! I too am in the either engine category. It is more of what is in the truck than what is propelling it as both engines are superb compared to any of the competition.

The 2.7 problem you described could just have been a screwed up learning pattern and a hard reset, retraining could easily fix it, especially the transmission since you drove all three with the same 10 speed, and the only difference was in how it was trained. I would not get a 2.7 for the only reason is that it is too small for what I tow, but if it were just a daily driver, I would get it just for the fuel economy.
And this is why the 3.5 is sold as the high end engine on our trucks, and also the one with the most towing capacity

Love mine! Never towed heavy, but I have no doubts on its ability. If it would be more efficient in terms of fuel, V8 would def. not stay very long on the markets. Just too bad the MPG is roughly the same between the two engines. You don't buy the 3.5EB because it has better MPG, you buy it because you like hearing the turbos lol.

Last edited by Eduskator; 05-31-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Joe Friday (06-01-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 322 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Eduskator
And this is why the 3.5 is sold as the high end engine on our trucks, and also the one with the most towing capacity

Love mine! Never towed heavy, but I have no doubts on its ability. If it would be more efficient in terms of fuel, V8 would def. not stay very long on the markets. Just too bad the MPG is roughly the same between the two engines. You don't buy the 3.5EB because it has better MPG, you buy it because you like hearing the turbos lol.
I agree. If the 3.5 EB got better MPG than the 5.0 it would have swayed me. I think for the average consumer they are going to be looking at the EPA MPG. Though we all know MPG is fairly similar when doing 80 mph on the freeway.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Great post.

How does one get overnight loans? After already wasting the dealer's time driving 3 different vehicles. That's what surprised me.

Quick Reply: Drove a 2.7 EB, 5.0V8, and 3.5 EB last night. Here are my impressions: