General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door wont open from outside

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver door wont open from outside

Hi, 1st post, have 2010 STX, never had a problem with truck until tried to get in and driver door will not open from outside, opens from inside as normal, locks all working, I did remove door panel to see if anything obvious was causing problem but nothing apparent, any help with a fix much appreciated, Thanks
Old 02-07-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by penns4
Hi, 1st post, have 2010 STX, never had a problem with truck until tried to get in and driver door will not open from outside, opens from inside as normal, locks all working, I did remove door panel to see if anything obvious was causing problem but nothing apparent, any help with a fix much appreciated, Thanks
The most common cause is
  • Broken or binding cable/linkage
  • Door latch
Pull the door panel back off and operate the outside handle while observing the linkages.

Here is an adjustment procedure to try before condemning the outside handle.

If there is no issue with the linkage or the adjustment, then the outside door handle will require replacement.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:24 PM

Thanks much, will try and update
Old 02-22-2015, 04:03 PM

first day to work on door ,weather cooperating as garage full. followed procedure to adjust clip and actuating rod and did not fix the problem, rod moves as normal , handle feels normal, everything operates from inside, outside handle still will not open door, any ideas, I,m thinking maybe door latch, puzzling part is door handle is moving rod and clip as it should ?
Old 02-22-2015, 06:33 PM

If the handle is actuating the linkage then the latch itself is bad.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:49 AM

Question dor latch

Is there a door latch repair or replace procedure, why is door opening from inside and not outside?
The following users liked this post:
Rabalais (03-21-2024)
Old 02-23-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

just open it redneck style..........CROWBAR!!!

Old 02-23-2015, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by penns4
Is there a door latch repair or replace procedure, why is door opening from inside and not outside?

I don't know how the latch is built but if the rod going to it from the handle is working, then the other end (inside the latch) must be bad.

Might want to let a body shop take care of it because getting the latch out and all the rods running in the proper direction can be challenging even for a pro.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having the same problem same truck 2010 f150

Do you have a update of what you did to fix the problem? I have taken my door apart and everything is working properly I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it is the actuator even tho my lock and unlock works fine the latch is also in the assembly but I would like to know if you may have done something else
Old 11-26-2020, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cameron.Williams
Do you have a update of what you did to fix the problem? I have taken my door apart and everything is working properly I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it is the actuator even tho my lock and unlock works fine the latch is also in the assembly but I would like to know if you may have done something else
I know it's been 2 years, but did you gets yours fixed?
My drivers side door opens fine from the inside. If I lock the doors and unlock them via the key, keypad or key fob the door won't open from the outside. I can pull the handle from the inside, then shut the door and the handle works fine from the outside.
I can see the door lock rod actuate and go up and down.

Quick Reply: Driver door wont open from outside