Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dog in the Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Dog in the Truck?

I got a dog about 6 months ago and she's a total blast:

I've currently got an '04 SCab and I've been letting her sit up front with me. The problem with this is she never wants to sit still, sometimes trying to climb into my lap. I don't really mind that her hair gets everywhere in the '04, however I'm planning on getting a new truck soon (2015 SCab) and I'm trying to see if there's a better solution.

I've considered getting a cap and bedrug and putting her in the bed to keep her hair out of the cab, however here in RI in the summer it can get to 85-95°, and the winter it is 25-35°. The back seat could work if I could have a way to keep her back there, as she'll just climb up front between the seats.

I wanted to ask other dog and truck owners what they do with their dogs in their trucks?

Last edited by Kenn213; 01-07-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Mine rides in the back seat. I purchased a blanket that hooks to the front and rear headrests and forms a hammock. Works great.
The following users liked this post:
Kenn213 (02-10-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Hmm that's not a bad idea. Would keep her back there.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For duck hunting I have an insulated kennel cover that lets my dog ride comfortably in the bed in freezing weather, even if she is wet after a hunt.

When I have room in the cab I also have a padded bench seat cover from cabelas that protects the seats from hair and wet dog smell. Mine is obedient enough that she won't climb through to the front if I tell her to stay, but she tends to sit with her butt on the seat and front paws on the floor so she can have her head laying on the head rest so she gets some pats on the head.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

I have dogs that ride in the back seat of my Super Cab. They love to ride but would not stay in the back seat. I installed a Pet Net:
Amazon.com : The Pet Net Barrier Large 47" x 34" : Automotive Pet Barriers : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : The Pet Net Barrier Large 47" x 34" : Automotive Pet Barriers : Pet Supplies
This works great - keeps the dogs in back and also stops most of the shedded hair in the back also. I used some extra bungies to tie the net down to the bottom and also up to the sides.
I cover the floor with one sheet and the seat with another sheet when the dogs are going to ride. This makes it easy to just remove the sheets and shake them out. The truck remains clean for whenever human guests will be riding in the back.

I also have a dog hammock for the back seat. The sheets are easier and more effective.
The following users liked this post:
jjg3 (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 11:55 AM
I'd rather be sailing.

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

We have a Corgi. Those who say Corgi's don't shed . . . .lie . . . ! LOL

She is and never has been allowed near the driver.

She stays in the back seat. We bought many moving blankets from Harbor Freight for 7 bucks each on sale. One of them is a dedicated seat cover for our wonderful dog! Works great, just shake out after each ride and remove after each ride to prevent dog smell as much as possible!

Scott
Old 01-07-2015, 11:58 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

I got a crew cab and my dog goes in the rear seating area with the seats folded up. I got her trained so she doesn't go jumping all over and wrecking the center console when I stop at a store. I would just get really mad when she would come up front and reward her for staying in the back, it took a few tries and some patience but I broke her. It's great now.

If there is no freeway driving, and its nice out, she goes in the box with her leash attached to one of the tie down rings close to the cab on the driverside.
I have to leash her because she will jump out of the box the minute I park and get out. I don't want that. She is untrainable in that aspect.
She stays put pretty good with the leash there, and can move around and look at stuff, she doesn't even think of jumping out. I got carabiners exactly like my picture on the tie down ring making the leash easy to undo from outside the truck without climbing back there.

Eventually I would like a proper size kennel.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Two of my three dogs are Corgis, the third is a long haired Dachshund. All three could be leased out to the wig makers. Mucho hair.
But we love 'em all so we put up with the hair.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
I got a crew cab and my dog goes in the rear seating area with the seats folded up. I got her trained so she doesn't go jumping all over and wrecking the center console when I stop at a store. I would just get really mad when she would come up front and reward her for staying in the back, it took a few tries and some patience but I broke her. It's great now.

If there is no freeway driving, and its nice out, she goes in the box with her leash attached to one of the tie down rings close to the cab on the driverside.
I have to leash her because she will jump out of the box the minute I park and get out. I don't want that. She is untrainable in that aspect.
She stays put pretty good with the leash there, and can move around and look at stuff, she doesn't even think of jumping out. I got carabiners exactly like my picture on the tie down ring making the leash easy to undo from outside the truck without climbing back there.

Eventually I would like a proper size kennel.

Exactly what I do. got a 2 foot chain (long enough to get his head over the bed wall, but short enough so he cant hang himself) and some carabiners and he rides in the bed. Havent had to take a longer than 10 minute drive, (no speed above 55) with him (vet or park) so I haven't needed any other option, but a back seat hammock like mentioned would be up on the list.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

Dog's never been in my truck yet. I like the carabiner-leash idea. I think I'll do that come summer and maybe build a little canopy to provide some shade.

Quick Reply: Dog in the Truck?