Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does BENT axle housing mean BENT shaft?

Old 02-08-2019, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does BENT axle housing mean BENT shaft?

hi folks,
my first mistake was letting my wife drive my truck. She hit a fire hydrant taking a turn too sharp. really messed up the rear end and was only going 5 mph.

the dealer says the housing is all that’s bent, however it is really badly bent enough to be seen by the eye. Is there anyway that it’s just the housing and the shaft is still straight? I feel like this is almost impossible but the dealership won’t take the time to check the shaft and are instead waiting for the housing to come in for the past 2 weeks as it was in back order. Really pissed right now!

The passenger side side rear is about 2.5 inches from rear fender and the driver side rear is about 4.5 inches from rear fender

Old 02-08-2019, 07:23 AM

Forgot to mention, my truck is a ‘15 EB LB 4x4 has a 5in rough country lift and 35 nitto RG. Anything else that might have got twisted or needing replaced with this happening?
thanks for the help
Old 02-08-2019, 09:01 AM

Received 315 Likes on 195 Posts

There's actually a good bit of space in the housing but I would imagine it's where it's bent ,center of tube might be ok right on end hmmm.find a housing in salvage yard or hey a chance to upgrade bigger stronger uhuhuh
Old 02-08-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

As stated, there's a lot of interior room inside the axle housing, but I assume the housing was bent by hitting the rear wheel on the hydrant. If so, it would be almost impossible to imagine the housing being bent without also bending the axle shaft. Replace the whole mess--if you don't, you'll eating rear seals and maybe more for the lifetime of the truck.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:19 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

I would expect the axle to be bent too. Maybe they already took the axle out and checked it? IF she hit the hydrant with the tire/rim assembly likely the axle flange is bent if not the axle itself. Vibrations, tire wear, axle bearings prematurely wearing out. Yup I would look long and hard at axle, even the wheel too. Any spring damage?
Old 02-08-2019, 08:00 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Does the wheel spin? That's the way to tell. It will wobble if the shaft is bent.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

No way anyone can help from afar . I would suspect everything in the RR axle assy. The axle is a long powerful lever that is directly and indirectly connected to lots of stuff. Good luck,
Brad
Old 02-09-2019, 10:35 AM

The wheel does spin and I believe they said it wobbles, I know the whole truck tries it’s best to turn left while driving and I only drove it for 15 miles stop and go in town over a week (thought it was snow and ice throwing me off balance) like this until I realized it. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. I thought it would be easy for them to check the axle but they have to wait for housing to come in then I guess they will over nigh axle if it’s bent
Old 02-09-2019, 03:35 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I'd have gone looking at wrecking yards first. It's a lot less labor.
Also, if it bent the tube you can pretty well bet the axle flange is bent too, maybe even fractured. I would demand it be replaced. If they give you a hard time, ask if they would be willing to accept liability for a thrown wheel should the axle fail in the future. You'll get your new axle.

Last edited by PerryB; 02-09-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:39 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

5mph? I doubt it. Probably 20.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does BENT axle housing mean BENT shaft?