Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dirt/dust accumulates on tailgate.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Dirt/dust accumulates on tailgate.

I try to keep my 2017 "Super Crew" clean. I have a tonneau cover on the bed, sealed bed in corners up front, and installed a tailgate seal. ALWAYS get road film, dust, dirt accumulating on the tailgate when driving on clean dry pavement. Anyone know why this happens or hoe to prevent it. It kind of reminds me of the old days of station wagons that had like a spoiler above the rear window to prevent dust/dirt form covering the rear glass.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:41 PM
ford dealer parts guy

Liked 955 Times in 788 Posts

Originally Posted by joe55rock View Post
I try to keep my 2017 "Super Crew" clean. I have a tonneau cover on the bed, sealed bed in corners up front, and installed a tailgate seal. ALWAYS get road film, dust, dirt accumulating on the tailgate when driving on clean dry pavement. Anyone know why this happens or hoe to prevent it. It kind of reminds me of the old days of station wagons that had like a spoiler above the rear window to prevent dust/dirt form covering the rear glass.
normal, every truck I've owned has done this, just the nature of the air flow
Old 01-08-2019, 02:25 PM

Liked 40 Times in 32 Posts

Please show me where the clean pavement is. Every pavement i've ever seen is outside subject to rain, wind, dirt and other cars/emissions/dust.

If you drive your truck outside, it will get dirty.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:14 PM
Senior "Citizen" Member

Liked 888 Times in 639 Posts

Just the nature of the beast. Anytime you have a vertical surface , like your tailgate, on the back of a vehicle, it’s going to collect dirt. It’s a wind flow / turbulence thing. Next time you’re out driving, look at the back of a bus or tractor trailer. Even if the rest of it is clean , if it has been driven, the back will be dirty. Happens with our 2015 Escape too. Drives me crazy but “what can ya do”?
Old 01-08-2019, 05:24 PM
Fleet Technician

Liked 4,498 Times in 3,524 Posts

Originally Posted by joe55rock View Post
Prevent it? LOL no. There is a cure however, it's called soap and water.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:39 PM

Liked 89 Times in 87 Posts

you're not going to keep the dirt and dust off the tailgate. wash it everyday like RNL said
Old 01-11-2019, 07:00 PM

Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts

Maybe keep the tailgate lowered while driving? But might need some robust rear wheel flaps to pull it off..
Then when parked and want to show off your clean shiny tailgate, lift it back up?

Dust collection is not only a problem on truck tail gates but also with some of the newer SUV's like my TrailHawk of which the rear hatch is an extreme dust collector extraordinaire.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:08 PM

Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts

I just walked in from getting little spots of i think tar as big as a head of a pin of my new white tailgate it felt like sandpaper

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dirt/dust accumulates on tailgate.

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: