Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding on a new truck's got my head spinning.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Deciding on a new truck's got my head spinning.

So I'd like to buy a new(or used) truck but I need some serious help in narrowing down the options.

Right now all, I know is that I want a 4x4 that is (hopefully) no more 5 years old with under 150k on the odometer if possible.
As far as towing goes, during the grass cutting season I'll need something that will tow what Im guessing is not much more 5000 lbs(which is basically any full size truck out there although some will do better than others). I have a 16ft tandem axle trailer that I load up with 3 riders, 1 push mower, 1 push brush cutter, 2-3 trimmers and up to 12 gallons of gas. On occasion I'll pull a boat(the heaviest would be a 21ft single engine aluminium bay boat).

I don't think I'll pull anything more than this with this truck and If I do It will probably be many years from now and at that point I hope to be at a point where I can afford a diesel.

As far as cab and bed configurations go Im not terribly picky. Ideally all I really need is a single cab with a 5.5-6.5ft bed but for the right price I could be persuaded to buy an extended cab or a supercrew.

Im considering the 5.0 V8, EB V6, and 5.4 V8 for engine options. Im leaning towards the two current engines due to fuel economy(the V6) and vast potential (the 5.0) however, Im still looking at the 5.4 since I may or may not be buying 2011 or newer truck.

What giving me a headache more than anything though is gearing selection, there's so many different options that I simply don't know which one to pick. This is due largely in part to my lack of understanding of the whole concept.

So, to anyone out there who has the patience and is willing to help, I thank you in advance and look forward to your reply.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

teaux, welcome to the forum. I'll try to help a little, but for the towing answers hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. As far as the 5.0L, and the EcoBoost engines, they were introduced in 2011. If possible these are the two engines you want to consider. The price will be higher, but worth the difference. And, if it's registered as a company truck, you will have some tax advantages (if Washington don't screw it up) to help with the higher price. As gearing goes, the higher the number the better they will tow i.e., a 3.73 rear gear ratio will tow better than a 3.31. Remember, torque is your friend when towing. The higher the torque rating, the better for towing. Good luck.

BTW, you are already on the right track looking for a Ford.

Last edited by Wanted33; 01-14-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the input Wanted.
I'm not terribly concerned about the price as long as it's in the 35K or less range. I just have a tendency to obsess over finding the best deal is all. I plan on saving some more for a few months after I get a full time job. So I won't be buying until sometime around late summer early fall. I've already put enough away to pay for 1/2 or more of a new truck and I plan to finance the difference and I'll continue to put away money until then.
Seeing as I don't plan to go for broke on the towing capacity would you say that a 3.55 ratio would be the lowest ratio I should look at? Im not sure if Im saying this right so correct me if I wrong in my description. I see that new F150s come with an assortment of 3.15, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10 ratio types. Since I won't be towing all the time and I am somewhat concerned with fuel economy, would a 3.15 or 3.31 be enough, or should I shoot the middle and go with the 3.55 ratio. i haven't looked into the axle ratios of the 5.4L equipped trucks so I don't know if they have different ratios than the current models.
Also, should I be terribly concerned if it has a limited slip vs an E-Locking rear?

again thanks for all the input and the patience needed to give it.

Last edited by teauxIT; 01-15-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

At 35K my guess is you should be able to find a new 5.0L at that price in an XLT Super Cab 4x4 w/6'5" bed. Incentives, and rebates are our friends. www.ford.com will have a ton of answers for your question also, tow ratings etc. I would think a 5.0L w/the 3.55 gears should be a good middle ground for towing, and mpgs. As far as the limited slip versus the e-locker I would think if your not going to be in any situations you need both tires for traction the LS would be fine. However the e-locker is just a $540 option, something to think about since you will be towing at times.
The following users liked this post:
teauxIT (01-14-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 05:32 PM

Don't know what this forums policy is on starting to post in a old thread so apologies if I should have opened a new one. I just figured it would be easier to post here since it's basically an update on this thread, not a new topic.

So here goes.

It's been a few months and I've put away more money. I've also more or less settled on buying a used truck. In particular I'm looking at a 2011 4x4 with either the EB or 5.0 engine. For a long time I was leaning towards the EB but after reading a few horror stories Im not as certain as I once was.

Im hoping someone here can help tip the scales for me in choosing an engine since I can't seem to get past this indecision on my own.

I still have no particular preference between ext cab or screw and since I can fit at least one rider in any of the bed lengths, the bed is not a concern. Fuel economy is still a plus but it's not a deciding factor.

What really going to draw the dividing line and point me towards one engine or the other is price and reliability. I plan on having this truck for a long time so I'd like to have some assurance that Im not buying something that will spend more time in the shop than on the road.

Also, not sure if this matters but I'll be buying this truck between late August and early September.

On a side note: I found a 2011 xlt ext cab 4x4 EcoBoost for $22,250. The dealer's site has a free vehicle history report that showed no past record of wrecks/damage/major repair. What's really keeping me at bay on this one is that it has just shy of 80k on the odometer and it's already been through two owners making me the potential third. This rings a warning bell for me which is why I haven't purchased the vehicle. I just can shake the idea of buying it for some reason. If someone could confirm whether or not I should stay away from this truck or not, I think I'd have the closure I need to wipe it from memory if it's not worth the risk.

as always, thanks in advance to all take the time a have the patients to reply.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Get the 5.0. It's proven technology, whereas the Egobooster is still somewhat new technology. You want longevity, go the 5.0 route.

Let the lashes begin...........
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

My two cents 5.0 which I have and love, turbos are not new no matter how much ford wants to people to think. The problem is yes turbos are better today but you need to be religious with oil changes if and when they crap out it gets expensive for my Money I want an American V8 in my truck.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Da Dog Whisperer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

With the EB you will get a better towing experience. A friend who got one after I did agrees, this does tow better than either of our Ram trucks did. The torque peaks at about 2800 rpm and is relatively flat from there on up. The 5.0 will have a peak around 4800 rom if memory serves correctly. Here is a link to some graphs https://www.f150forum.com/f38/power-...ngines-194389/
Yes some may say it isn't proven, there have been problems but I cannot complain about my EB at all. If you get an 11 or 12 EB be sure to check with your local dealer to see if it can be serviced for the TSBs. You may want to look at the end of year deals for a new one, our local dealer ran a TV commercial tonight offering a 28% discount on an XLT Screw, that drops it down to about 14k off sticker.
Go with at least the 3.55 gears and like others have said if you can get one with 3.73 you will be better off. The higher the number, the lower the ratio and the easier it will be on the truck to get moving with a heavy load or trailer.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

+1 on the 5.0

After reading about the ecoboost shutting down into limp mode on some people while driving on the interstate, I shied away from it and bought the 5.0 and love it. There's a reason Ford is being sued and is under investigation for the problems the Eco has had. The 5.0 won't tow as much as the Eco, theoretically, but it will handle your grass cutting equipment with ease.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the 5.0 also!

Quick Reply: Deciding on a new truck's got my head spinning.