General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer giving me a hard time about warranty due to leveling spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dealer giving me a hard time about warranty due to leveling spacers

So I bought my used 2015 FX4 SCREW from a Ford Dealer in Fremont CA - certified used. Well, then it needed a hub replacement and IWE replacement right out of the gate, plus the truck came leveled which I thought was kind of cool. I took it into my local dealer in San Leandro to do the repairs, and they reluctantly did the work (under extended 1 yr warranty) since the factory warranty was up. They noted the 'spacers' that were 'aftermarket' and whined about it, stating that this can void the warranty. Work done, truck running good.

Fast forward to last week, where (thanks to this forum) I took it back because of a clicking noise coming from underneath at about the front door length. I thought it may be a exhaust manifold crack, etc. but it ended up being bat catalytic converters and they will replace. I also wanted them to check the vacuum system because I had heard of a few noises only in 2H. They stated they didn't see any issues, and that they wouldn't investigate further due to the truck being lifted with aftermarket parts on the front end. Service guy says "well this changes the whole geometry of the truck, thus it may act different, blah, blah, blah - so you would have to take it back to the dealer you bought it from, as they should not have certified it with aftermarket parts on the suspension"

So the dealer I purchased this from is not so close to my home, and I typically love the guys in San Leandro. Since thousands of guys lift/level their trucks I'm trying to gather intel on how I can overcome this with my Local Ford guys. Their blaming most of my woes on spacers.....I mean come on, a spacer on the top of the shock? And I bought it in this configuration, certified preowned? Can they certify vehicles with aftermarket parts legitimately? This was a previous leased vehicle.

Thanks for any helpful and realistic suggestions,

Here is the youtube vid from Fremont ford advertising the truck before I bought it.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:00 PM
music man

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

My extended warranty company will deny any claim if the vehicle is "Modified" which I find stupid because I actually run a stock sized tire for an F150. Sure it's a Raptor size but it is still stock. That being said, I have a very reliable shop that I trust that overlooks any statement to the company that may void the warranty.

They have even gone so far as to put stock wheels and tires on when the warranty company requested a picture. They have gotten a few cases of beer for the "break room" fridge from me for going above and beyond the call.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

If the dealer you bought it from certified it like that then take it back to them for repair. If you wanted local service with a smile you should have bought local or at the very least, completely stock.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:43 PM

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigman67
My extended warranty company will deny any claim if the vehicle is "Modified" which I find stupid because I actually run a stock sized tire for an F150. Sure it's a Raptor size but it is still stock. That being said, I have a very reliable shop that I trust that overlooks any statement to the company that may void the warranty.

They have even gone so far as to put stock wheels and tires on when the warranty company requested a picture. They have gotten a few cases of beer for the "break room" fridge from me for going above and beyond the call.
And folks wonder why they cant get something warrantied! Just saying!
Old 07-18-2018, 06:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chrish4ku
So I bought my used 2015 FX4 SCREW from a Ford Dealer in Fremont CA - certified used. Well, then it needed a hub replacement and IWE replacement right out of the gate, plus the truck came leveled which I thought was kind of cool. I took it into my local dealer in San Leandro to do the repairs, and they reluctantly did the work (under extended 1 yr warranty) since the factory warranty was up. They noted the 'spacers' that were 'aftermarket' and whined about it, stating that this can void the warranty. Work done, truck running good.

Fast forward to last week, where (thanks to this forum) I took it back because of a clicking noise coming from underneath at about the front door length. I thought it may be a exhaust manifold crack, etc. but it ended up being bat catalytic converters and they will replace. I also wanted them to check the vacuum system because I had heard of a few noises only in 2H. They stated they didn't see any issues, and that they wouldn't investigate further due to the truck being lifted with aftermarket parts on the front end. Service guy says "well this changes the whole geometry of the truck, thus it may act different, blah, blah, blah - so you would have to take it back to the dealer you bought it from, as they should not have certified it with aftermarket parts on the suspension"

So the dealer I purchased this from is not so close to my home, and I typically love the guys in San Leandro. Since thousands of guys lift/level their trucks I'm trying to gather intel on how I can overcome this with my Local Ford guys. Their blaming most of my woes on spacers.....I mean come on, a spacer on the top of the shock? And I bought it in this configuration, certified preowned? Can they certify vehicles with aftermarket parts legitimately? This was a previous leased vehicle.

Thanks for any helpful and realistic suggestions,

Here is the youtube vid from Fremont ford advertising the truck before I bought it.
https://youtu.be/aDbwpVVoKA0

I would ask them how come ford sends out the roush f150s leveled with a fox suspension and backs it up with all of their warranties still valid. Granted the fox suspension the front coil overs are 2 inches taller, but with a level spacer the geometry is still the same.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:23 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordmastertech2018
I would ask them how come ford sends out the roush f150s leveled with a fox suspension and backs it up with all of their warranties still valid. Granted the fox suspension the front coil overs are 2 inches taller, but with a level spacer the geometry is still the same.
Because a certified Ford crew did the install. Not One eyed Pete's Tire Shop.
The following 2 users liked this post by SteveLord:
greggebhardt (08-28-2018), RL1990 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:27 PM

Received 892 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveLord
Not One eyed Pete's Tire Shop.
HAHAHAHA Best thing Ive read all day!
Old 07-18-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 892 Likes on 584 Posts

Probably shouldnt have been certified in the first place. Wonder if they didnt notice it? Id be going back there even if its not conveinent.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveLord
Because a certified Ford crew did the install. Not One eyed Pete's Tire Shop.
BAM!!!! ROFL
Old 07-18-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Ford doesn't install it roush does. And the issue was not who put it on, the op mentioned the dealer told him his level messed up his suspension geometry.

Quick Reply: Dealer giving me a hard time about warranty due to leveling spacers