General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting out cats

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Cutting out cats

I don't have laws about having them in or not so please don't lecture me on that. My question is can somebody show me where to get O2 simulators and any details about doing this process
Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

It'd be much easier just to replace your down-pipe(s) with 'off-road' variants.
To 'gut' your cat(s) you'd need to cut them open in a fashion that allows you to weld 'em back shut. You'd also need to run a straight pipe from end-to-end. If buying cat-less replacements is out of the equation, you'll be better off just cutting the cat(s) out, and welding back in a straight pipe.
Finding cat-less down-pipes as well as o2 sensor eliminators, is as easy as typing into Google.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 PM

I want to cut them right out yes. But which sensors do I need or r they not specific to brand of vehicle? I currently have roush exhaust but want me cats gone
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the 06 f150 i just purchased i found out that previous owner installed a 02 simulator on my pass side cat they hollowed it out and in my opinion caused tons of new issues i now have to replace not just the cat but all 02 sensors as there has been massive failure check engine is popping codes and someone didnt know what they were doing it running very lean i can drive it but i choose not to untill i get new cats and 02 sensors for it and im hoping that resolves some or all of the following issues , missfires , rough idle , some stalling , i also have to replace the factory cold air intake, basically i am taking this truck back to stock set up do yourself a favour forget the simulators it will only cause u problems down the road i now have a project instead of a driver glad i have a back up ,97 expedition eddie 5.4 317000kms on it and counting was hoping to retire it but for the forseeable future its my daily .
Old 02-02-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

spark plug nonfoulers might do the trick
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 PM

I've heard of nightmares like urs and nothing but good things from others. Reason for taking them out is I want a deeper sound from my exhaust. I have an 08 5.4L. What about high flow cats? Would they the trick?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Engineer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

The 02 sensor after the cat just tells the ECM whether it's working or not and has nothing to do with the fuel mixture. I'd just assume have a programmer where I could "turn off" the ECM's ability to even throw the code. That's what I did in my last vehicle because I put a high-flow cat in it and the sensor/ECM was never happy with it and I'd get a CEL. So, I turned off that particular code in the ecm and added a little timing to take advantage of the extra flow and all was right with the world!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Most programmers can take care of it, but they also make 'plug-n-play' units that simply plug onto the sensors.
As I said, just google it and you'll find sites selling them. They're not rare, so you'll find plenty of options. I've always used programmers when having that much exhaust flow, but as I said, you can easily find the stand-alone plugs online.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about warranty? do you have a warranty on ur truck? Cutting out the cats will void your warranty!
What else can I tell you to talk you out of doing that?
enviroment? you are harming the enviroment! climate change, global warming!
how about this? the engine was designed , tuned and engineered WITH that cat, and without the cat it will won't run right.

ohh I just thought of a good one! this will change your mind: even if your truck is OUT or warranty the emission warranty lasts almost forever, and the cat is included in that emission warranty,,,, right?
No? that didn't convince you?

ok,, the noise the new exhuast makes,,, your neighbors hate that and will hate you more for it,,, I have a neighbor that has a Suburban with a loud exhaust and he will sit in his driveway forever reving it up "VA-ROOM" and I hate him!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:55 AM

My truck won't make a difference to this already dying environment. My truck is 2000km away from warranty expiring so that's not an issue. And like that one guy said, "plug and play" simulators will tell my truck that they r still there. I currently have the Edge Evolution programmer hoping that will take off any codes? Also, do I cut out all 4 cats and buy 4 sims or what?

Quick Reply: Cutting out cats