Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Bed Lights(NEED HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Bed Lights(NEED HELP)

Ladies and Gents,

I love my truck but have such a hard time seeing in the bed at night due to my Quad Fold Tonneau cover.The cargo lamp kicks on but is virtually useless because of the cover.I was wanting to mount lights along the upper inside of the bed but didn't really have any solid idea's on how to do so.To go another step further,I wanted to make them integrate with the interior and exterior cargo lamp,or if that wasn't possible,make them switch on when I opened my tail gate.If anyone could help in anyway possible,it'd be greatly appreciated.Thanks alot,and please check out my truck in my garage and let me know what you think.

Scott
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Master Mariner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently researching a similar mod. There are lots of options for bed lights mounted under the bed rail. I was going to keep my instalation simple and just run the power back from the spare fuse panels to an 'on-off' toggle switch mounted near the back end of the bed rails. Once I get around to finishing it I'll post some pictures/drawings as needed.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did the hook up, had a cap installed and was ablre to have bargined for 2 LED strip lights thrown in with the cap. they are self adhesive and individual switches also got a cargo light, I watched them hook up 3rd brake light and wire in the cargo light and strip lights to my tail lights with 3M scotch locks on the L R tail light wiring .Being a former auto tech I know what will happen with those connectorswhen the corrosion starts on the wiring,Asked them why they were wiring it that waywith those connectors and the answer was a stupid thats the way we always do it,and said it was a safety issue so that the the lighting will only come on with parking lights on so it will not kill the battery if left on DUH! all the cargo area lights are LED remember! it will take a long time to kill power
Told them to stop and would finish it my self got home and un did all the wiring they did took out all the 3M's and cut and soldered the compromised wiring and used water proof heat shrink tubing.
for the cargo lighting, ran a power wire (I used red 16gauge) from the battery to the L tail light opening found the ground wire at the top of trailer hitch ( I think it was white) and made a separate ground connection using the same screw connection from there ( used black 16Ga wire) to the L tail light opening ran a black and red to the right tail light housing and hooked up the R side strip lights and rewired the cargo light and connecting grnd and power to them, tied in the L LED strip light and using a small toggle switch in to the bed liner on left side wired the power wire into the switch before all the connections to the lights

Quick Reply: Custom Bed Lights(NEED HELP)