Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cracking/popping/clunking sound, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracking/popping/clunking sound, any ideas?

1995 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 302

For a decent time now I've been dealing with this noise, it happens when the truck makes a turn that's either sharp or normal, It also does it when going over uneven areas and does not produce the noise when in park, I put this off for many months due to low funds but I figure I should get to it now.

If you've any idea on what may be causing it, please feel free to drop suggestions, When you're inside it only does it on the driver's side, and it does sound like it comes from under the wheel but can also sound like it's in the underbody area so not completely sure.

As far as suspicions go, I had someone turn the wheel while it was in drive so I could look in the hood, and noticed it came from the steering collum area, I have attached a video where you can hear the noise while I was driving in a rutted up pasture. (not sure why it won't show a preview, so you'll need to download the video to view it, my apologies!)
Attached Files

Last edited by IsaacF150; 05-17-2022 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:19 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Exclamation

IsaacF150 ...
Vehicle Information *Telepathic or Carnac we're not.

If you're not going to provide vehicle information in your post(s), consider putting your complete vehicle information (year, model, cab, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, mileage, maintenance, modifications, etc., etc.) in your signature to have it automagically included when you post. *Eliminates playing 20 questions when/if a post is made pertaining to your vehicle.
» Edit Signature «
*Don't forget to [ save ] it.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:09 PM

[QUOTE=gDMJoe;7209148]Vehicle Information *Telepathic or Carnac we're not.

my apologies. Fixed it to where my info is on the top of the post.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:16 AM

Received 438 Likes on 390 Posts

Take a good look at the location where the ends of the rear springs attach to the bracket that is attached to the frame rail. In my case (1993 F-150) I searched for the noise for months before stumbling onto the broken, heavily rusted, support. The failure point was where the spring bolt attaches to the support, bolt was ok, support rusted and failed around bolt but never seperated from the support and it was hard to see. I was able to replace the support with a "U-Pull scap yard" part by drilling the heads off of the 1/2" dia. rivits, hammering the rivits out and then bolting the new support (Grade 5 bolts) into place. Be prepared those rivits do not come out easily.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jimboy
Take a good look at the location where the ends of the rear springs attach to the bracket that is attached to the frame rail. In my case (1993 F-150) I searched for the noise for months before stumbling onto the broken, heavily rusted, support. The failure point was where the spring bolt attaches to the support, bolt was ok, support rusted and failed around bolt but never seperated from the support and it was hard to see. I was able to replace the support with a "U-Pull scap yard" part by drilling the heads off of the 1/2" dia. rivits, hammering the rivits out and then bolting the new support (Grade 5 bolts) into place. Be prepared those rivits do not come out easily.
Thanks a ton for this sir, will take a look today and get back to you!
Old 05-18-2022, 02:36 PM

Just checked, negative on that, Jim. Everything on the rear springs and frame looks to be perfectly fine.
Sound is only coming from under the steering wheel/driver side underbody.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:15 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Read this page:

(click this text)
The following users liked this post:
Jimboy (05-18-2022)

Quick Reply: cracking/popping/clunking sound, any ideas?