General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak overnight

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Coolant leak overnight

Yes, i have been looking at previous threads concerning this issue, but have not found a definitive answer yet.

got a 2012 5.0. found a small puddle of coolant right and side under the truck. It appears to be coming up somewhere between the transmission and oil pan.
It just started leaking while being parked overnight. I took it for a run, and had it parked for 20 min and there was no leak. i've reached my hand in as far as i could go behind the engine from the top, and its completely dry.
what is leaking?

as a second question, if i cant define the leak, would it be safe to try and use a stop coolant leak additive it my truck, or would it create issues.
I would greatly appreciate your feedback
Old 12-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Without trying to sound like a smart a**, are you sure it's coolant?

Does it do it every night now?
How long?
Is your coolant level dropping?

Personally, on a truck as new as yours I would never use a stop leak additive. Need to determine it is for sure coolant and then find the leak. Leaks are not always right above where the puddle is. Could be coming from somewhere entirely different and migrating. Get it on a rack/lift and trace it.

Must always consider the possibility of someones idea as funny. Possible someones playing a trick?
The following users liked this post:
superflyers (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 05:23 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Stop leak is for emergency situations. If you don't get your coolant system cleaned out in time, it will gum up with the stop leak. Then you'll be replacing components of the cooling system. What color was the liquid exactly?
superflyers (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by idrive
Without trying to sound like a smart a**, are you sure it's coolant?

Does it do it every night now?
How long?
Is your coolant level dropping?

Personally, on a truck as new as yours I would never use a stop leak additive. Need to determine it is for sure coolant and then find the leak. Leaks are not always right above where the puddle is. Could be coming from somewhere entirely different and migrating. Get it on a rack/lift and trace it.

Must always consider the possibility of someones idea as funny. Possible someones playing a trick?
im 99% sure its coolant. it is light green in color, and are a little slippery. i took out my coolant container and compared the color, smell and consistency.

just discovered the issue today, and the truck didnt even drive yesterday. the coolant level might have dropped a little.

truck has been parked for an hour now, and there is nothing!
Old 12-11-2015, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Manuellabour247
Stop leak is for emergency situations. If you don't get your coolant system cleaned out in time, it will gum up with the stop leak. Then you'll be replacing components of the cooling system. What color was the liquid exactly?
it was a light green color. i appreciate the heads up. ill definitely use the additive as a last resort then!
Old 12-11-2015, 05:33 PM

If it's on the passenger side, check the heater hoses going to the cab. They might be what's leaking. Being in TX you don't have the extreme cold that would kill the hoses like up north, but there could still be a defect from factory.

Did you have your coolant flushed and changed? Pretty sure they use the Orange colored coolant on our trucks.
superflyers (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 05:58 PM

If it's on the passenger side, check the heater hoses going to the cab. They might be what's leaking. Being in TX you don't have the extreme cold that would kill the hoses like up north, but there could still be a defect from factory.

Did you have your coolant flushed and changed? Pretty sure they use the Orange colored coolant on our trucks.
I added different coolant on the truck. I used Autozone brand, and its green.
No clue how the heater hose looks like or where its located, but I'll try and find out. Thanks
Old 12-11-2015, 08:05 PM

found the heater hoses going to the cab, and they are completely dry. actually everything is the engine compartment is dry, so i am a little puzzled
Old 12-11-2015, 09:18 PM

Default Coolant leak overnight

Turn your steering wheel hard left then look towards your engine behind the passenger tire. Should be able to see freeze plus in your block. That would be my next guess.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:19 PM

Mixing coolant on these trucks can do weird stuff. Even though it days universal coolant it could still react with the factory coolant unless you completely flushed the block and radiator.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak overnight