General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool vintage F-Series special editions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cool vintage F-Series special editions

The F-Series trucks have been around for ages, sold very well for the vast majority of that time, and have spawned all sorts of cool special packages. Do you have a favorite, or do you know of something bizarre and neat that was offered only for a period of time?

I've always had a soft spot for the 'Free Wheelin' package. Just look at this ad:

Look at the striped F-150 in all its glory, parked in front of a rugged mountain landscape while Brian Wilson reaches in to grab John Denver's junk. The rainbow is a nice subtle touch.

All kidding aside, I'd love to have one of those trucks, they're the epitome of 70s cool. What are your favorites?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:23 AM

Received 281 Likes on 180 Posts

hehe...yeah, bad timing on that photo but the truck looks great. I definitely remember those editions and thought they looked cool back then too!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a 2008 Foose Edition F-150.
Not very practical; but cool truck.
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM
OLD FNG

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't think this model was anything special other than to me. My Dad got this at a US Navy surplus auction full of rusted holes, engine didn't run, etc., etc. His reason for buying it was to teach my brother and I how to work on cars from body work, interior work to engines and transmissions, etc., etc.

My brother soon lost interest but I stayed with it so my Dad let me have input so we searched salvage yards and found the Moon Roof and stuff. I have great memories spending time and learning from my Dad, remember my Mom coming out to the garage and telling us to stop for the night as it was past my bedtime. We finished it right before I got my license so we used it to teach me how to drive (it was three on the tree) and when I got my license my Dad said since I stayed with it, helped all along the way and stuff that it was mine and threw me the keys.

So I guess just special to me, my first vehicle, a 1963 Ford F100 Step Side, straight 6 with three on the tree. Believe it or not this is the only picture I still have of it.
Attached Thumbnails Cool vintage F-Series special editions-oldhenry.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by Tim321:
Corylax18 (02-16-2013), Just call me Sean (02-14-2013), Traildad (02-16-2013), Wanted33 (02-15-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I remember driving those around when I was in the Navy, only they where all white with stencils on them. Good times!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 281 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim321
Don't think this model was anything special other than to me. My Dad got this at a US Navy surplus auction full of rusted holes, engine didn't run, etc., etc. His reason for buying it was to teach my brother and I how to work on cars from body work, interior work to engines and transmissions, etc., etc.

My brother soon lost interest but I stayed with it so my Dad let me have input so we searched salvage yards and found the Moon Roof and stuff. I have great memories spending time and learning from my Dad, remember my Mom coming out to the garage and telling us to stop for the night as it was past my bedtime. We finished it right before I got my license so we used it to teach me how to drive (it was three on the tree) and when I got my license my Dad said since I stayed with it, helped all along the way and stuff that it was mine and threw me the keys.

So I guess just special to me, my first vehicle, a 1963 Ford F100 Step Side, straight 6 with three on the tree. Believe it or not this is the only picture I still have of it.
Cool story! And cool pic...the neighborhood setting and truck pic reminds my of childhood days except on the northeastern coast.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tim321
Thats seriously a cool story. I only wish I could do that with my dad. We have a Ford Fairlane pro street project that he has had for 17 years but he lost interest in it a long time ago. I used to help him with my plastic drill haha when I was like 5. But its kinda cool what makes a truck special. The truck I own now is really a piece of crap but its my piece of crap lol and I love it for that. Its the first truck I've bought with my own money.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have any pictures of one,but who remembers the Bigfoot cruiser editions from the eighties. I remember a guy had one around my town and I always liked seeing it.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullittbil
Don't have any pictures of one,but who remembers the Bigfoot cruiser editions from the eighties. I remember a guy had one around my town and I always liked seeing it.
Not sure if you are referring to the same package, but back in the late 80's I worked at Ford and helped design and package the "Bigfoot Cruiser" package for the FDNY ( Ford Dealers of Western New York).
It was applied to either an F250 or a Ranger. 4x4 ( of course) , medium metallic blue, and we added big rims/ tires, some early ones had winch bumpers, double-tube chrome roll bars with lights on top, power rear slider windows with a hand-held remote, and a big mettalic "Bigfoot Cruiser" decal down the sides.
We sold them all very quickly, all over the region, and then had to recall them all over wheel/tire size and bumper height regs.
We had to put stocks wheels and tires on and stock bumpers on (on the winch-bumper versions), but we let them keep the original stuff so they could re-convert it back on thier own.
Lost a ton of money on every one sold in the long run. The Ranger versions are far more rare.

Last edited by Kit Sullivan; 02-16-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been on the Hunt for a "Bigfoot" for a long time

Quick Reply: Cool vintage F-Series special editions