Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Controversy on oiled air filters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Controversy on oiled air filters?

It is believed that using oil based air filters (K&N) for example, cause problems with the MAFs. Well I'm not a believer of this K&N factory here in Riverside, California have proved that by submerging the entire sensor in there oil and let it dry. They hook the sensor back up to the vehicle and ran on the dyno not making pulls just variances on speeds, intake speeds, etc.. While in the process having a scan tool monitoring PID (Parameter display) on the value the sensor makes. For ford these are 5v reference sensors. The higher the value the more air it reads. With enough time to get the heated element hot and so on, with no effect did the oil have on the sensor. How ever the oil is used to trap dirt in the filter. So if you over oil it or don't follow the instructions oil could build up on the sensor and collect dirt over time. Now the dirt is what causes the sensor to fail do to it being literally cooked on the sensor. So every time you clean and oil your filter the next day clean your MAFs of this oil and dirt. And you should have no problem 99% of the time.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

it seems to me there's nothing wrong with K&n just the people who don't follow the directions..... I don't have MAF but I do run K&n on my f150 and my street rod for a reason yes over oiling can be an issue but you can tell when you do that.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

I've never been a fan of oiled air-filters. I don't like the fact that oil DOES get sucked into your intake. I don't care what any manufacturer of oiled air-filters says. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. I don't care what anybody else does, I just never will own one.
FWIW, GM was telling their dealers to check the air filter on Duramax-equipped trucks a few years ago(might be back in '05...I have CRS), with trucks reporting excess smoke problems. If they found an oiled air-filter, they were told to deny coverage.
I paid attention to it back then simply because it was all over a particular diesel forum I visited, but since I never use that type of product, I never followed up, so I don't know what GM's stance is on 'em currently.
Hell...they denied me coverage for my over-heated front brakes because I live in 'Anaheim HILLS', calling it an 'Environmental circumstance'. Of course they were wrong, as they simply didn't bother to set the rear DRUM brakes properly at the factory, nor during any of the 3 times my truck was in at the dealer for either service(where the manual calls for a brake inspection) or actual brake repair.
So they could be wrong on this one too.
I just know I don't like ANYthing but air being sucked through my air filter.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is your choice I'm not forcing you to get what you don't believe in. I'm stating what they have done to disprove the MAFs controversy and ford dealers can't can not deny coverage if they have an oil based air filter. They tried but the BAR said no. Yes very minimal amounts of oil get into the engine but so do other contaminants that are smaller than the amount of microns the filter can filter.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

if you dont follow directions on how to properly clean and oil it then yes, it will mess up you maf.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

It's all about the lower filtration efficiency of the oil gauze filers. The oil/improper oiling just exasperates the problem.

Quick Reply: Controversy on oiled air filters?