General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continued IWE Problems and frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Continued IWE Problems and frustrations

I purchased a 2013 F150 Lariat (my first Ford) in December of 2012 and keep pretty low mileage on it living close to work in the Twin Cities/Minnesota. In November of 2013, I began hearing/feeling a low decibel humming/vibration noise coming from my front end. After several visits to Eden Prairie Ford dealership (over 3 months) where I purchased it and complained about it, I was finally told by a mechanic, 'yep, we've seen a number of trucks with this issue-it's the IWE's'. So, on the one hand, I was relieved they knew what the issue was (and they replaced both sides) but NOW (14-mos later) I'm hearing the exact same sound/exact same symptoms! I had both IWE's replaced before and the problem I'm having is that the noise is VERY erratic-and the dealership needs to hear the noise to issue a work order. My problem is how can Ford NOT re-design these things if all these trucks are having issues with the IWE's. I love my truck and not loving this evident quality related issue.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here.
Brand new 2014, 3000 kms on it and had both IWE replaced.
Now on cold morning, I have to engage the 4x4 so it stops grinding and after that its fine.

They also dont want to work on it until they can hear it themselves....and I dont feel like leaving my truck there for weeks.
The following users liked this post:
Ruggers (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

EXACTLY-they need to hear it and it's so frickin- erratic too...I've been there 3 times in last month and of course, it won't make the noise in their parking lot. Then I get back home or the next morning it starts up again...so frustrating! And my kids, "dad, what's the noise? why don't you get that fixed?"..that's nice
Old 02-05-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Check the solenoid, which on my 07, is behind the battery. The newer version has a rain shield like the one in this picture. Without the shield, it is prone to water entering it, and then freezing, causing it to crack.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:03 PM

Here's a better pic of the two.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 232 Likes on 149 Posts

Is it possible to wrap it with something waterproof?
Old 02-05-2015, 04:59 PM

Guys have made their own shield. But, it's not going to fix the solenoid if it's already broke of course.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Still an issue on 2015s

Started hearing it on my new 2015 within a few weeks of delivery. Took several cellphone videos to convince them it wasn't "rust on the rotors". Was told they replaced IWE and solenoid (left only). Grinding noise gone but now sticks in 2wd and whine/vibration in the front end. Dropping it off again on Tuesday (4th time in since Dec) Anyone had luck getting Ford to provide an extended warranty because of this?
Old 02-14-2015, 10:14 PM

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

They are just replacing parts and not fixing the reason the parts are failing.

There is a couple check valves in there and a vacuum box, and the lines if any of those leak you will have problems.
Also if the line have water in them and then freeze then thaw. You need vacuum at the hubs
Old 02-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruggers
I purchased a 2013 F150 Lariat (my first Ford) in December of 2012 and keep pretty low mileage on it living close to work in the Twin Cities/Minnesota. In November of 2013, I began hearing/feeling a low decibel humming/vibration noise coming from my front end. After several visits to Eden Prairie Ford dealership (over 3 months) where I purchased it and complained about it, I was finally told by a mechanic, 'yep, we've seen a number of trucks with this issue-it's the IWE's'. So, on the one hand, I was relieved they knew what the issue was (and they replaced both sides) but NOW (14-mos later) I'm hearing the exact same sound/exact same symptoms! I had both IWE's replaced before and the problem I'm having is that the noise is VERY erratic-and the dealership needs to hear the noise to issue a work order. My problem is how can Ford NOT re-design these things if all these trucks are having issues with the IWE's. I love my truck and not loving this evident quality related issue.
To be certain, has your dealer been able to diagnose and make the repair recently, Ruggers? Please fill me in with the details, including current symptoms (if different than what you've mentioned) and updated mileage.

Originally Posted by Johndspencer
Started hearing it on my new 2015 within a few weeks of delivery. Took several cellphone videos to convince them it wasn't "rust on the rotors". Was told they replaced IWE and solenoid (left only). Grinding noise gone but now sticks in 2wd and whine/vibration in the front end. Dropping it off again on Tuesday (4th time in since Dec) Anyone had luck getting Ford to provide an extended warranty because of this?
Please let me know how your trip to the dealer went, Johndspencer. Did they make the repair? I'll keep my eyes peeled for an update!

Brittany

Quick Reply: Continued IWE Problems and frustrations