General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Rebuild

Hey guys I've got a clutch on its very last leg. I believe a piece to have broken off inside. It is screeching really badly when I push it all the way in and it is much more difficult than normal to get in a gear. Any of you know how much it would cost for a rebuild or how difficult it is to DIY? This isn't an F150's clutch but I figure they are all basically similar except for those crazy german ones. The vehicle in peril is a 69 Jeepster Commando 225 w/ 3 speed. Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section. Any input is appreciated.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

Aside from being a nasty, dirty job done under a vehicle while getting dirt, sand, grit and fluids in yer eyes....and dropping large heavy things like a transmission and transfer case on your head, it's a purty straight forward job. Most complicated item is aligning your new clutch plates up inside the bell housing to mate with the tranny input shaft during reassembly. I believe you can rent the special alignment tool for the job at a reasonable price from one of the larger auto parts stores.

Have fun, and be careful.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Thank you much. I've never done anything other than your basic maintenance but I think I could tackle it. Seems to be a fairly simple job when you have the means. Appreciate the input.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:17 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Sounds like the throwout bearing. Might as well change everything since the tranny will be out.

You can post this type of stuff in "Off Topic".
Old 05-13-2010, 05:21 PM

that's what I figured. may as well do it all at once since the tranny is dropped. some small piece had gotten loose in the clutch and caused it to screech a little under certain circumstances but nothing like what happened to me today. Also this morning when it started the jeep was throwing off a nice burning smell. I thought i had a fluid leak but that was not the case. Didnt smell on the way home. Maybe it is the throwout bearing.

sorry about the post in the wrong spot I just know way more eyes come across the general discussion board than the maintenance or off topic one. do i need to move the post and if so how do i?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:28 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

No, it's fine. It's more suited for off topic but it's fine. If a mod thinks it should be moved they will do it or you can ask one to move it, but it's fine.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:47 PM

alright I appreciate it. will be sure to post there next time

It's definitely shot and I think we're going to have a professional do it. We don't have a bay or the necessary tools. Shouldn't be to much more expensive to have him do it. Oh well, just want to get it back on the road. Also putting in some disc brakes Thanks for all of you guys help and opinions.

Quick Reply: Clutch Rebuild