General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning exterior, between washes and waxing/polish

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Cleaning exterior, between washes and waxing/polish

What do you do between washes? I use nu-finish as my go to wax/polish. Washes up very easy but still takes an hour. What short cuts do you do to keep your truck looking good, without doing soap, bucket and hose? Thanks Tomm
Old 12-23-2018, 04:49 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

I live out in the country with lots of dirt/gravel roads and parking lots. It’s almost impossible to keep my rig clean, especially this time of year. Once a week, I go to a coin op car wash that’s nearby and just blast it off with the high pressure wand. I never use the brush. I also hit the wheel wells and as much of the undercarriage as I can reach with the wand. About once every 6 weeks, I give it a hand wash and full detail. Summertime, I keep it very clean but Winter, it just gets the “quickie “!
The following users liked this post:
moparado (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 06:11 PM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

What Mike from TN said.
I also live out in the country. Once in a while i'll also use the coin op sprayer but as Mike said, stay away from the brush.
During the Winter its useless to keep my vehicles super clean and shiny.
Although i have a designated semi-beater for the nastiest Winter weather.

They all just have to wait til Spring for a good clean and wax which i always look forward to.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

65 and sunny, makes me think my truck should shine. But, I don’t have the getit done energy’s. So looking for the quick wash.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:49 PM
F15.56

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the brush do irrevocable damage to the clear coat/paint or are the scratch/swirl marks something that can be fixed with a good clay bar and wax? Do I need to go so far as buffing to get them out? I used the brush one time on my truck but I noticed some minor scratch and swirls after it. I will be avoiding it from now on.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am an avid hand washer and am fond of the Adams Polishes line. Very user friendly, which is a plus to me. I strip wash, clay bar, polish and seal my 3 vehicles every year and about every 2-3 months I use a product of theirs called H20 Guard & Gloss to maintain. Its a water activated acrylic sealant that is super slick and protects for roughly 60-90 days. I put it on glass, paint , plastic trim and my work vehicle that has a wrap... keeps the wrap looking great. Apply to the paint when wet, spread with a damp towel and buff dry. Then watch the water just fall off!

As far as swirls, a good polish and polisher will remove them. Id recommend a sealant of some sort over a wax. Similar shine results and much better longevity. Carnuba waxes last weeks at most, and doesnt offer much protection.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:07 AM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

Between hand washes, clay, hand or machine polishing or waxing and so on, I will go to a coin wash and blast the dirt off with water, but never use the brush. Then, I use a wax as you dry spray and microfiber towels to dry it.

Last edited by 77Ranger460; 12-24-2018 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

I'm OCD about keeping my truck clean, even during the winter. I have a California Duster that I keep under the seat behind me. And I keep a bottle of either Meguiar's Quik Wax spray or Mother's spray detailer in the back seat door pocket behind me with a can of Stoner's Invisible Glass, and a small plastic shopping bag with about 15-20 cotton cloth towels under the seat. I also have one of those extendable wands for reaching across the windshield, or for wiping the bed cover. Every time I go for a ride I'm using the California duster to clean the dust off the truck. I then have a loose towel that I use to give the chrome rims a quick wipe. So it takes me just a few minutes to do a "Quickee". Several times a week I'll do a quick spray down with the detailer to keep her really shining. Takes 15-20 mins.. If the glass is grimy add 5 minutes. If it's been rainy a little longer. Like I said, I'm OCD.....Lol....When I come out of the store where I'm at, before I drive away, I grab the duster and do a wipe, then wipe the rims. Or sometimes I'll do it before I go in. I do the same thing at the next stop. When I get home I give it another dusting and wipe the rims. That way when I go out the next time it's already done. If it's been a few days I'll give it another swipe. I have Cooper AT3's with raised white letters. Once a week I usually wash the rims and tires, and scrub up the white letters with some Bleach White. OCD?

Last edited by Scarlet; 12-24-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by 10sne1
What do you do between washes?
Rain, FTW.

BTW
"Washes" are decades apart.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 246 Likes on 196 Posts

Pressure washer with foam cannon if we have a warm enough day.

Quick Reply: Cleaning exterior, between washes and waxing/polish